Humanity's Fragility: | Teen Ink

Humanity's Fragility:

William Golding's most successful work, Lord of the Flies, stands as a testament to the complexities and intricacies of human nature by exploring the delicate balance between civilization and savagery. The novel, set on a deserted island during a nuclear world war, delves deep into the psyche of its characters, unraveling the inherent darkness that lurks within.

William Golding’s early experience contributed to his worldview. After participating in WWII, he began his writing career along with teaching. For a long time, people called World War I the “War to End All Wars.” However, World War II suggested that human nature might be inherently warlike. The novel’s setting might be considered as World War III from Golding’s perspective. He believed that human is inherently savage and moreover that war is inevitable.

Golding paints a vivid process of how innocence is lost as a group of young boys find themselves stranded without adult supervision. Initially guided by the principles of civilization and the hope of rescue, they created and followed their rules. Their system gradually descends into chaos and anarchy, demonstrating the fragility of societal constructs. Through meticulously crafted characters, engaging narrative, and use of symbols, Golding underscores the novel's timeless message about the precarious balance between civilization and the primal instincts that threaten to unravel it. Furthermore, Golding transformed this isolated island into a microcosm of broader society, the political party systems, and human nature. Each character represents different things. For instance, Piggy represents rationality and Roger represents the capacity for evil within individuals. Meanwhile, the juxtaposition of Ralph's democratic leadership with Jack's authoritarian rule offers a compelling exploration of governance that how two distinct styles of leadership exist on the same land.

Additionally, the symbolism woven throughout Lord of the Flies adds layers of narrative complexity, inviting readers to think about deeper meanings and interpretations. Whether it's the conch shell representing order and democracy or the ominous "beastie” symbolizing the inherent evil within humanity, Golding's use of symbolism enriches the reading experience, fostering readers’ discussions and reflections on morality, ethics, and societal norms. For example, in specific, the conch, initially a symbol of authority and order, plays a pivotal role in conveying the fragility of civilization on the island. Used to call meetings and establish rules, the conch represents the boys' initial attempts to maintain order. However, as the story progresses, the conch's power diminishes, signaling the breakdown of societal structure. The gradual decay of the conch mirrors the erosion of civility among the boys, showcasing Golding's commentary on the tenuous nature of societal order in the face of human nature's darker instincts.

Furthermore, Golding's prose is both evocative and haunting, immersing readers in a world where the line between civilization and savagery blurs, particularly the details to the environment and the boys’ actions. The author's keen observations and insightful commentary on human psychology elevate the novel beyond a mere survival novel, prompting readers to notice the maybe “dark” truths about their nature. Themes of fear, isolation, and the corrupting influence of power permeate the story, creating a climax that underscores the novel's enduring relevance, even to today.

In conclusion, Lord of the Flies remains a literary masterpiece that continues to captivate and challenge readers decades after its publication. William Golding's poignant exploration of human nature, civilization, and the fragility of societal constructs offers profound insights into the nuance inherent in humanity. Even today, this novel serves as a poignant reminder of the enduring struggle between order and chaos, civility, and savagery.