Discrimination of Ancestry | Teen Ink

Discrimination of Ancestry

By zrhana06 BRONZE, Middle River, Maryland
zrhana06 BRONZE, Middle River, Maryland

In When the Emperor was Divine, the term “ancestry” emerges as a pivotal concept, serving as the root cause of all the tragedies happening to the main characters. It is not only important in this book, but I am also interested in discussing its role in American society and how my ancestry relates to my mentality living in the United States just as the characters in the book.

In the novel, there was a sign all over the town about “INSTRUCTIONS TO ALL PERSONS OF JAPANESE ANCESTRY” (76). The word “ancestry” highlights the ethnic discriminatory nature of the instruction. It is not based on individual actions or allegiance but solely on one’s Japanese heritage. On the same page right above, the diction of calling Japanese and Chinese “Jap” and “Chink” reflects the derogatory language used during the historical period, emphasizing the prevalent racism in society. Although the man pretended he was Chinese due to external pressure, the action of admitting his Japanese ancestry when he was in the corner feeling safe shows his desire to affirm his true and prideful identity. This scene reflects that an unhealthy societal atmosphere compels individuals to conceal their heritage on freedom of speech, leaving the Japanese unable to assert their own identity.

Although the American Dream mentions that people are treated equally regardless of their background, the fact is that ethnic background is still often discussed and has an impact on life in America as a melting pot with diverse immigrants. In today's society, we already have novels like When the Emperor Was Divine to criticize inappropriate racial generalization; however, the same type of racism is still happening. An example is the discrimination faced by Chinese Americans during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the first place, there is no solid evidence proving that Chinese people created this virus. Even assuming that the virus was created by a Chinese or Chinese government, people still should not blame the whole population of Chinese citizens as sinners. Not to mention blaming the Chinese Americans on the other side of the earth, who are even more innocent, which is extremely ridiculous. The discrimination toward all Chinese people due to coronavirus, in my opinion, is very similar to suspecting Japanese Americans as spies in WWII. 

Moreover, I know East Asians from other countries are afraid of being seen as Chinese due to the fear of being perceived as virus transmitters. There were also Chinese people afraid of publicly admitting themselves as Chinese during the time when discrimination against Chinese was severe. I also have sometimes been hesitant to publicly admit my Chinese nationality and half Hubeinese ancestry, where the first case of covid found, afraid that somebody may discriminate against my identity, therefore leaving a bad impression on me. While I know it's very sad to not be able to proudly introduce my identity, it's also a result of a society that overly emphasizes ancestry and can't see every race as equal.

In conclusion, the exploration of “ancestry” to analyze the discriminatory treatment of individuals based on heritage is poignant. The novel not only echoes the historical injustice but also resonates with temporary issues, emphasizing the enduring impact of a society fixated on ethnic origin. It calls for continuous awareness and advocacy to foster a more inclusive and equal society.

Analysis and personal reflection based on "When The Emperor Was Divine" by Julie Otsuka.