Bird Box | Teen Ink

Bird Box

January 22, 2019
By Willj34 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Willj34 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Bird Box”, a thriller/drama movie directed by Susanne Bier,  will leave the watcher at the edge of their seat with thrilling parts that will keep them in suspense from beginning to end.  It is the type of movie that causes the watcher to think about what is going on and how the characters are going to get out of it.  It was definitely worth the 2 hours and 4 minutes of my life.

Malorie is a single mom with a baby on the way.  She lives in the city of Alaska. As she and her sister were on there way home from an ultrasound, they noticed that there was this strange thing that was going around and affecting the way people are thinking.  Soon her sister was struck by the mysterious force causing her to want to crash the car they were driving. After she rolls the car she gets out and starts walking and turns around and gets blindsided by a truck.  Malorie was soon able to make it into Douglas’s (John Malkovich) house where there is Tom(Trevante Rhodes) and another survivor Charlie(Lil Rel Howery).

The main characters are stuck now in a house with about 5 people trying to figure out what is going on; however one of the characters, Charlie, starts talking about the endgame, demons that if they were to look at them, It’ll cause them to want to kill themselves.  The group has managed to cover up all the windows so that nobody can look outside and get affected. When they start to run low on food Tom suggest they go to the store where Charlie works, the only problem is getting there without looking. Tom comes up with a genius idea, to paint all the windows black on the car, and use its GPS and parking sensors to find there way to the store.  They are able to make it to the store where Malorie ends up finding birds in a cage, she soon realizes that the birds can sense when the demons are around. Charlie ends up sacrificing his life when a possessed homeless man tries to kill them all. Later in the movie, we discover that the demons don't always affect u in the same way, but can cause a person to act strange and want other people to take off their blindfold and kill themselves.  With newcomer Gary, we first witness that when he sets down these weird pictures of demons and starts ripping the paper off the windows. Gary ends up killing everyone except for Tom and Malorie.

Toward the end of the movie they receive a message over a walkie talkie saying that there is a place where, if they can make it, they can stay there.  The guy over the walkie talkie ends up giving directions on how to get to the safe house but it involves going down the river, but on the river, there are the rapids.  The rapids are a very fast moving portion of the river, and for them to make it the guy explains that someone will have to look. Tom and Malorie have to now decide if they want to make the journey to the man's safe house.  While they are deciding two cars pull up to the house, they decide to have Malorie take the kids down to the boat and then Tom to go outside and fight off the people that have seen the demons but want to make other people see it.  Tom ends up killing all of them and taking his blindfold off, just before he was about to kill the last one he sees the demons. Tom fought through the demon controlling him and killed the last member of the group but he couldn't handle it anymore and ends up killing himself due to the demons.  

Malorie now is only with the two kids and they are coming up to the point in the river where the rapids are, she explains to the children that one of them when she tells them, is to take off their blindfold and tell her which way to go otherwise they will not make it.  When they make it to the rapid Malorie decides that neither of the two kids will take off their blindfolds, but they are to hold on tightly. They make it to the shore when Malorie remembers that the dude told them to follow the noise of the birds. As they are traveling to the safehouse Malorie trips and falls down a hill the kids get nervous and end up getting split apart where they hear these voices telling them to take off their blindfolds, but Malorie gets back up and persuades the kids that it's still not safe to take the blindfold off.  They make it to the place which ends up being a place for the blind and the birds are there to alert the people who can see that something’s not right.

Bird Box by Susanne Bier, from beginning to middle then to the end will leave the watcher at the end of their seat wanting, waiting, and wondering what will happen next in the movie.  The acting in the movie came with risks, the main actor, Sandra Bullock, said that she was blindfolded while filming the movie for more than fifty percent of it. I would definitely recommend this movie to a person who loves a thrill/action type of movie.