Monty Python and the Holy Grail | Teen Ink

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a comedy about life in the Middle Ages and tells the story of the noble King Arthur. Because King Arthur wants to build a table of some of the greatest knights in the world, the king decides that he has to search around the land, trying to find the bravest, mightiest knights around. After finding a good handful of these knights, King Arthur leads them on an incredible quest to find the Holy Grail. On the quest, they are faced with challenges left and right, including a strange castle, a magical guard, a deadly rabbit, a mighty three-headed giant, rude Frenchmen, and so much more as they attempt to discover a prize that might not truly exist. 

Even though Monty Python and the Holy Grail came out over forty years ago, most of the movie is not outdated and is still hilarious. Although certain aspects of the movie, like certain movie quotes and the actual concept, do feel slightly old, it is actually quite a tremendous feat for the movie to be able to be appreciated in this modern-day and age. The dialogue between the characters is extremely ironic and so are the characters' actions, which makes the movie quite clever and substantially more interesting. The encounters with the Frenchmen in the movie is nothing short of pure gold and are truly well done. In fact, these scenes give audiences some of the best moments in the entire movie and are definitely one of the movie's main highlights. 

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a cohesive story that is able to connect all of its pieces to one another. The beginning of the movie is able to brilliantly jumpstart the entire movie, and the middle of the movie does a marvelous job of progressing things along and presenting new, dangerous obstacles to the main characters. The enticing ending of the movie manages to prove to be quite shocking and is definitely something most viewers won't be expecting, helping to make the actual conclusion of the film quite exhilarating. 

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was able to set what some might argue to be the gold standard for comedies. The movie is able to succeed with having multiple sub plots, which add to the movie's ability to intrigue audiences. Not only that, but the movie is unorthodox and is really able to have their unfathomable concepts for the time be able to capture watchers' attentions. The movie is so creative that the creators were able to make the beginning credits fun and exciting to watch, which happens to be something that most movies definitely do not have the ability to say. 

Although most wouldn't expect it, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is actually rated PG and is more than just a little bit family-friendly. However, young audiences will most likely not be able to enjoy all of the aspects of the film and will only be able to find some satisfaction with certain parts. With that in mind, kids can still be able to watch the movie happily, so, theoretically, the movie can work for the whole family. The gags in the movie are still appreciated for their originality and are sure to generate laughs. 

When compared with other comedies, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is able to shine and stand out due to the fact that critics enjoyed the movie so much. Monty Python and the Holy Grail received a high 93% from Metacritic, and an outstanding 94% of Google users liked the movie. The vivid visual effects of the movie are surprisingly good, and the castles depicted in the film look like they could've been visited by real knights in the Middle Ages. Secondly, Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an incredibly impressive 97%, which is actually so much better than it seems, since they are known for giving generally lower scores to comedies, so the fact that the movie was able to receive this whopping score as a comedy is a fantastic testament to the movie's greatness. 

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is still a great comedy that is worth watching, and the movie is absolutely a must-see for anyone and everyone who have not yet seen this brilliant comedy that has aged wonderfully. 

"Now go away or I will taunt you a second time." - Frenchmen