(2010) Devil | Teen Ink

(2010) Devil

By shai-star BRONZE, Sacramento, California
shai-star BRONZE, Sacramento, California

" Only bugs can truly appreciate the beauty of flowers." - Dov Davidoff

Do you believe in the devil? Do you believe that he’s waiting for you in disguise for all the sins you’ve committed?  If not, this horror/mystery movie Devil that pushes you to the edge of your seat with anticipation and curiosity might change your mind. The Devil is a movie made in (2010) featuring Chris Messina who plays Detective Bowden who works hard to try and piece together the gruesome crimes to find the culprit, because of its unique suspense the movie has been categorized as horror/mystery. Right from the start of the movie it captures your attention with an amazing voiceover by one of the characters in the movie Ramierez played by the actor Jacob Vargas who believes in the god and the devil themselves saying : [voiceover] “When I was a child, my mother would tell me a story about how the Devil roams the Earth. Sometimes, she said, he would take human form so he could punish the damned on Earth before claiming their souls.” In a Philadelphia office tower are five innocent trapped people, or not-so-innocent as they thought. The office security guard, a salesman, a young wealthy lady, an old woman, and a mechanic. Many fears gathered together claustrophobia, suffocation, heights, darkness, and so many other things to be scared of in this situation. But the Devil himself makes a truly terrifying appearance for every single one of these not so innocent people while hiding among them. 

When watching this movie, this film has such a unique film that I have never seen before. If it wasn’t for my teacher I personally wouldn’t have clicked on this movie. Which really goes for sure never judge a book by its cover. This film is filled with horror, thriller, mystery, and death. More than enough to send a chill down my spine. All of the genres which I love. The intro into the movie was so intense not even the film itself but the dialogue was just enough to hold my attention till the end of the movie with the most unsuspecting plot twist ever making it all worth it. Plus the emotions held in the movie were great. Fear, the gut wrenching moments, little parts where it makes everyone gasp inside the room,and even holding some tear jerking moments that touch the heart. Such a great movie I would watch over and over and will show to my friends and family.

The mechanic really stood out to me as the main character from the beginning of the film. He was very mysterious and quiet. Straight from the start of the movie. The camera action slowly shows every character in some type of way in the lobby for a period of time but the mechanic’s was brief and quick. As it’s doing that the mechanic slips behind with a hood over his head and a bag, but he was suspicious yet so obvious like he wasn’t worrying over anything. Which made me pay real attention to him. So did the other characters as they kept a watchful eye on him. Eventually slowly everyone else in the elevator started to look suspicious.

Devil is such an amazing film, holding everything that makes a good movie. If you love thriller, horror, and anything supernatural. Watch this and even if you don’t like those genres. It might just change your mind. A greatly impacted movie that makes me question my future actions. Maybe in order to get forgiveness even if it’s from Lucifer himself starts from a confession. 

Huge fan of horror and thriller!!!