Happy Feet | Teen Ink

Happy Feet MAG

By Anonymous

     “Happy Feet,” is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Mumble, the main character voiced by Elijah Wood, is a cheerful little penguin who lives in Emperor Land in Antarctica.

In this land of great and infamous penguins, you are no one unless you can sing. Their heart song is the key to finding love and living a happy and successful life. However, while Mumble was incubating, his father dropped him, an accident which caused an abnormality - Mumble cannot not sing. Instead, he can dance, hence the title. Mumble’s mama, Norma Jean (voiced by Nicole Kidman), thinks his trait is cute but his father (voiced by Hugh Jackman) knows that he will never be accepted and may never find true love.

Mumble proves them all wrong and finds true love with Gloria (voiced by Brittany Murphy). Ironically, Gloria is the best singer in Emperor Land. She loves Mumble but has a hard time getting over the fact that he prefers tap dancing to singing.

The leader of Emperor Land, on the other hand, cannot accept the fact that Mumble dances and blames him for the food shortage so he can cast Mumble away. During Mumble’s journey, he comes across another set of penguins, the Adelie penguins. They have Argentinian accents and are led by Ramon, voiced by Robin Williams. They call themselves the five amigos and are lady killers, the opposite of Mumble, but these penguins look up to Mumble for his great moves. In Adelie Land, Mumble looks for the guru Lovelace, also voiced by Robin Williams. The five amigos, Lovelace, and Mumble set on an expedition to try to save all penguins and make a difference.

The beginning is slow, but after 20 minutes the movie picks up and the audience is constantly chuckling. There are many funny parts, which is to be expected with Robin Williams as the voice of two hilarious characters. I was laughing a lot, especially when Mumble meets the five amigos. When those penguins are on screen, you are guaranteed a laugh.

“Happy Feet” is very cute and has moments when you are really in suspense. The ending is a bit confusing, but everything finally gets all tied up. When Mumble is dancing, I wanted to stand up and join him. I give this movie 4.5 out of five stars.