Midnight in Paris | Teen Ink

Midnight in Paris

By noelk BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey
noelk BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey

Midnight In Paris is an inspiring tale about finding the one constant in life that makes someone happy. Gil Pender is seen as a wealthy man who has it all; a beautiful fiancee Inez, a large bank account, a successful job. He is a very romantic man with a large imagination compared to Inez who is a realist. Except, Gil does not seen to be fulfilled with his life. He is an aspiring writer whose dream is to live in Paris in the 1920’s. An idea of the “golden age” is brought up. Many people are not satisfied with their time period and feel as if they would fit in with another era. While wondering the streets of Paris, Gil sees an old fashioned car with passengers who are seeming dressed differently. He realizes he has been transported back in time. The audience has to use their imagination to figure out how exactly he came to be here. He meets many famous icons like Gertrude Stien, the Fitzgeralds, and Ernest Hemingway. In the movie’s iconic scene, Gil is sitting in a cafe with Salvador Dali, Man Ray, and Luis Bunuel discussing his life dilemma. Being surrealists, they believe this ludicrous story about a man coming from the future from a different time. And of course, the movie concludes with a happy ending. Gil Pender realizes he is not satisfied with his average life in the United States so he leaves his unsupportive fiancee and moves to Paris, where he will spend the rest of his days writing.