Rise of the Planet of the Apes | Teen Ink

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

This review is going to be on the movie “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” directed by Rupert Wyatt in 2011. The cast involved James Franco as Will Rodman (a main character) who took care of Caesar, Andy Serkis as the Chimpanzee, Caesar (a main character), Freida Pinto as the animal doctor at the zoo, Caroline, Tom Felton as the ape keeper’s son, Dodge Landon, and John Lithgow as Charles Rodman, Will Rodman’s sick father.

I believe that throughout this movie it was acted out and directed very well. The way the director had the female ape go ballistic and going on a rampage through the whole facility was a brilliant way of showing off how a chimpanzee can act when it believes it or its baby is threatened. I also think that James Franco acted very well on his parts. He really showed how dedicated he was to his work and to the safety of all chimps especially the chimp that he ended up keeping, known as Caesar, who was going to change his life forever. John Lithgow who played the part of Will’s father, Charles Rodman, also played his part well. Showing how bad of shape the father was and everything, even though that might have been very easy to do, was well done. Now, the director did a very good job when brought all of the apes in the city together in a final stand against the humans. I especially like the part when he allowed Caesar to finally take charge of all the apes in the little ape’s jail. One of my favorite parts of this movie was when one of the biggest gorillas attacked a helicopter like he was King Kong or something. There are some parts of the movie that I might have done a little differently like I would have had some of the chimps hijack a motorcycle or something like that to show off how smart they actually were after they encountered the experimental drug. I also would have let the gorilla; the one Caesar set free, kill the dude on the horse that kept trying to hit him.

Overall, I do believe that this was one of the best movies that were produced in that year and even the critics said that it was the best movie of its time. If I could, I would tell the director that for a sequel he should continue using Caesar as a character in the movie and just add another chimpanzee as the main character and also change the setting from New York City to an actual forest or jungle like in the original “Planet of the Apes”. I would also suggest that the apes would be somehow shipped to the random forest because since they’re in New York city and there is no way for the chimpanzees to get to any forest they’re going to need a way to get out of the city and in to the wild, like a tropical rain forest or something of that nature where there are many new and wild things that Caesar and the other apes can interact with and try to survive in a different environment.