The Cell | Teen Ink

The Cell MAG

"The Cell" is a prime example of how specialeffects can truly make a movie. The wonderful "eye candy" in this filminevitably rises above the plot and makes for some intense, gruesomeimages.

Jennifer Lopez stars as Catherine Deane, a child psychologisttrying to help a comatose boy. She communicates with him by experimentallytraveling into his mind. The story continues when a homicidal maniac also fallsinto a coma. His most recent kidnapping victim is missing, and possibly is dead.The FBI turns to Catherine, who journeys into the killer's mind to find a clue tothe victim's location before it's too late.

It's at this point that thefabulous special effects become gruesome. The fact that Catherine is travelinginto the mind of a deranged killer necessitates ghastly scenes, and awesomespecial effects make the images of blood and gore disgustinglyrealistic.

Lack of technical detail is a problem that plagues "TheCell." There is only vague information to support the mind travel theory,and it only takes a simple chemical injection and a special suit suspended fromthe ceiling to mind travel. I expected more of an explanation for such ascientific venture.

"The Cell" had some positive featuresbesides the special effects. Once inside a mind, Lopez, as well as the subject,could perform amazing feats. The costuming was also well done, elaborate,creative and constantly changing. The music is notably original, especially theorchestrations.

Overall, "The Cell" is a mediocre, butgroundbreaking, film. As many have noted, it's best described as a mixture of"The Matrix" and "Silence of the Lambs." I recommend"The Cell" to those looking for an original and entertaining movie, butwho also have strong stomachs and a taste for gore.

Supernova7 GOLD, Redford, Texas

Let me cry my tears let me live in sorrow as long as you promise to be with me tomorrow
By Me:)

Great review:) I'm glad you analyzed both the good and bad aspects of the movie:) Please check out my work:)

trblue GOLD said...
trblue GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

"Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother@#?!&* upside the head. "

ok the cell very twisted. it a ...... good i guess. and if you like lady gaga the clothing on here wickedly good. but the movie so bad i tryed to write a poem about it. the son a killer and he badly beaten by his father.