The Hunger Games: The Mockingjay | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games: The Mockingjay

December 5, 2014
By Dejay BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Dejay BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“The Capitol’s Sweetheart” is now a part of a rebellion against the Capitol. In The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, written by Suzanne Collins, Katniss Everdeen battles, period: battles for her life, her loved ones, and their freedom. Love triangles, retaliation, haunting nightmares, tragedy and many more outstanding obstacles stand throughout her course. To have a better and faithful understanding of Katniss’s story I believe you should read the book.

There are so much differences between the movie and the book. First, Soldier Jackson is not mentioned in the movie as she is in the book. Secondly, President Coin is not how she is described in the book. I pictured her being cold to Katniss but in the movie she welcomes her warmly. A fellow citizen of District 12, Delly, has not made an appearance in the movie but maybe she comes in Part 2. In the differences of the settings, Katniss should be in District 12 already in the beginning. However in the movie, she is in 13. “The Hanging Tree” scene occurs in a forest in the book; in the movie, it occurs by a river. When Katniss proposes her demands in exchange for her to be their Mockingjay in the movie, she only asks for the victors’ immunity and to keep Buttercup. Whereas in the book, she asks for also hunting, retaliation on Snow, and Gale always being with her. Katniss was given Cinna’s book by Plutarch in the book, but was given the book by Effie in the movie. In the book, Katniss found her prep team being held as hostages but the director did not add this part in the movie. In addition the director added a scene of where they bombed the Capitol.

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss was an extraordinary choice. It may be because she is just an amazing actor or it could be me being bias but either way Jennifer Lawrence was a great choice. Having Josh Hutcherson as Peeta is an excellent decision as well. In the book they describe him as a soft, vulnerable person and Hutcherson has those qualities. Liam Hemsworth is perfect for Gale because they both share physical, strong leadership qualities and that rebellious vibe. As I was reading the book I did not picture Boggs as African-American but it actually was a better choice and gave me a more suitable visual aid of his appearance. The part where the director ended was a good alternative. I would rather have it ended where it did than a part where a main character dies.

The novel and movie is a work of art. It is so powerful and exceptional that by reading it, you can feel yourself collecting an incendiary and invincibility sensation. This rebellious nature will be awoken and before you know it, you have this outrageous idea of wanting to jump off a waterfall. It’s phenomenal!

Nonetheless, to endure this feeling you must read the book first. In the movie there are some parts that will not make sense to you if you did not read. For instance, the Crazy Cat scene; Crazy Cat is a game where Katniss shines her flashlight and Buttercup chases it. In the movie she’s smiling then suddenly is dispirited. In the book it explains that she was thinking metaphorically; how she’s Buttercup and the light he’s chasing is Peeta. Also in the beginning of the movie, Katniss is shaking and saying “My name is Katniss Everdeen…” This can also be confusing and viewers may not understand why she is saying that. While for the viewers who read the book will know that she does that when she feels hallucinations coming up. The movie may be very confusing if you do not read the book.

The movie is not quite loyal and this is why I have trust issues... Just kidding. Anyways, the book is so much better because it was actually written by the creator. Sure, Suzanne Collins was there while filming but it wasn’t fully under her control. The director is just someone who put Suzanne’s word into action but edited her perspective. I would rather have Suzanne’s point of view. Furthermore I personally like to understand the character’s thoughts. However, in the movie no one narrates. Likewise, I would like to know the ending and not wait a year until the rest of it premieres. So if you are like me, I highly recommend to read the book first. Then you can go watch the movie and point out what’s wrong with it. Afterwards, we can meet up and bond over ranting about how the book is so much better.