The Mockingjay | Teen Ink

The Mockingjay

By Jreeve BRONZE, High Springs, Florida
Jreeve BRONZE, High Springs, Florida

The Mockingjay is divided into two parts, part two set for release on November 20th, 2015. It is the third in the Hunger Games series, and perhaps the most intense so far.

Katniss Everdine (Jennifer Lawrence), has survived the past two hunger games, destroying the capitol's setup and at last ending the games with a single arrow to the arena dome. She is carried away by an aircraft as the arena falls down around her. Later she wakes up on the aircraft to find that Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) has been captured by the capitol along with several other tributes. She is hidden away in district 13, which is thought to be destroyed, where she reluctantly agrees to become the Mockingjay of the revolution. Her very survival is a threat to the capitol.

In an attempt to stop Katniss, they brainwash and use Peeta, who she has feelings for, to get into her head over messages sent to her and the people by saying things that are meant to turn the people against the symbol of the Mockingjay. At first, Katniss was used only as a propaganda symbol by the rebels, as it would make the movie seem unrealistic for an inexperienced teenager who had just survived the games to come to district thirteen and take charge of the rebellion, which is led by President Alma Coin (Julianne Moore).

There are several war scenes, acts of bravery, and and the destruction of a hospital of wounded rebels by the capitol, which sparks the rebellion even more as the people watch the innocent patients die in the burning hospital. The capitol also attacks district thirteen where the rebels are hiding. The rebels survive the attack. The capitol continues to play mind games with Katniss using Peeta. Finally, Katniss breaks down while the rebel leaders are attempting to make a message from her to the people. A mission is soon begun to rescue Peeta and the tributes. It is successful, but when the tributes arrive at district thirteen and Katniss rushes to see Peeta, she is attacked and injured by him. The capitol has ruined his mind with drugs and brainwashed him to make him think that Katniss is the enemy.

The movies ends with Katniss sadly staring at Peeta who doesn't know who he is anymore. The entire movie is a strong addition to the series and includes several funny scenes with the rebel leaders, Effie (Elizabeth Banks), and Haymitch (Woody Harrelson). It is a very intense movie with mixed emotions. It is a favorite for everyone who fell in love with the series.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

I had to stop reading in the middle- I had a feeling you were about to reveal too much. Congrats on the editor's pick, though!