The Best of Me | Teen Ink

The Best of Me

By iroy17 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
iroy17 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

The Best of Me is a drama and romance directed by Michael Hoffman, but the book is written by Nicholas Sparks. The main characters throughout the movie are played by  Michelle Monaghan and James Marsdon. I am a fan of Nicholas Sparks and the movies based on his books.

After twenty-one years of not seeing each other, the once teenage lovers, Dawson and Amanda, meet up again in their hometown after a tragedy. It is a very realistic but questionable at times. It comes across as everything happens for a reason and destiny is a real thing.

Some strengths in the movie would be the costumes. It did relate to modern day Tennessee. Special effects were also standing out when Dawson was in an accident in the beginning, it felt like it was a real explosion. The acting was also really good; Liana Liberato was cast perfectly for the younger version of Amanda.
The plot is believable and realistic with only a few bumps, but the rest seems like what an everyday love story would be like. The dialogue was amazing. They got the subtle hints of a country accent and the movie just flowed.

The reaction I had to the movie was some moments I was happy and others I was in tears. That is the reaction the movie is going for. A heart-warming drama with a little bit of sadness. The audience this is turned to is mostly women and teenage girls. Some could say it's a "chick-flick". Ultimately the movie was really good but the ending was a little disappointing and unrealistic but it was a huge surprise and no one saw it coming.