Mitski's Puberty 2 | Teen Ink

Mitski's Puberty 2 MAG

January 13, 2023
By Anonymous

“Puberty 2” is Mitski’s fourth studio album. Falling into the indie rock category, this album contains hits like “Your Best American Girl” and “I Bet on Losing Dogs.” Using captivating lyricism and knockout vocals, Mitski tells us stories of grief, love, abandonment, hopelessness, and desperation.    

This album is widely regarded as her best work, and there’s no question why. Her hard-hitting lyrics are best displayed in “Your Best American Girl,” where she talks of feeling like an inadequate lover due to her upbringing not aligning with other’s and how she comes to accept this fact, as hard as it may be. But Mitski reminds us that she’s not just a singer — she’s a composer, too. In “Once More to See You,” the strong drums and eerie background noises perfectly compliment her heartwrenching lyrics.

In previous albums, Mitski relied on her classical background to produce, with her first two albums being orchestral during her college years and her third album piano-forward. In “Puberty 2,” she strays from what her listeners had come to expect of her. She came out with an indie rock album that went beyond her romantic relationships and even went beyond herself. Best shown in “Dan the Dancer,” Mitski tells the story of Dan, someone who struggles with depression entering a loving relationship with an unnamed character. The premise is simple but emotion-packed, and most readers can relate to the excitement of starting a new relationship.

If you’re looking for an insightful listen with lyrical substance and a melodic beat, I would recommend Mitski. All of her albums will provide you with what you’re looking for, but in my opinion, “Puberty 2” is the best place to start. Not only will you be presented with a vivid and raw depiction of human emotions, but you’ll also become familiar with the musician whom so many have come to love, respect, and connect with.


The author's comments:

"Mitski Miyawaki, known professionally by the mononym Mitski, is a Japanese-born American singer-songwriter. Mitski self-released her first two albums, Lush and Retired from Sad, New Career in Business, while studying studio composition at Purchase College's Conservatory of Music." - wikipedia