Songs that matter now: 2023 Taylor Swifts' | Teen Ink

Songs that matter now: 2023 Taylor Swifts'

By JordanC124 BRONZE, Chalfont, Pennsylvania
JordanC124 BRONZE, Chalfont, Pennsylvania

The American singer and song writer Taylor Swift released her new pop album Lover in the summer of 2019. Songs from the album were included in the Amazon Prime series "The Summer I turned Pretty" with the album also earning her sixth consecutive album to debut at number one on the US Billboard 100. Topping charts around the world as well as selling 3.2 million copies in 2019, becoming that year's bestselling album. The album won Favorite Pop/Rock Album at the American Music Awards of 2019, and its singles won four MTV Video Music award.

Lover, the electro pop, pop-rock, synth pop album released through Republic Records. Was produced with Jack Antonoff, Joel Little, Louis Bell, and Frank Dukes. Her seventh studio album, all released while she was under the spotlight for accusing her old manager of stealing her old music.

When Taylor was first signed into the music industry, she was signed into Big Machine Records, as a young girl she didn’t know what she was getting into. In the end after her first six albums Taylor Swift decided to leave Big Machine records. Following that Scooter Braun acquired Taylor Swift's music master without her knowledge, this caused controversy due to the fact no one could agree on the correct storyline. The album, Lover, was her first album not under Big Machine Records.

Featured on the album Lover, Taylor Swifts' song "The Man" is about the social hierarchy surrounding men in the world as well as her personal experience in the entertainment world. The song was released with a music video including Taylor Swifts male alert ego, Tyler, as she pretends what life would be like if she were to be a man. Since Swift is rather private, we were glad she let us in on her stance on gender equality. In the video she uses common stereotypes to prove women are held to a higher standard than men. In the song Swift shoots a reference to women's struggling revolving their clothing, "What I was wearing, if I was rude, could be separated from my good ideas and power moves" she figures. Men in school, business or the world are hardly criticized on their outfit choices. While a women could go somewhere and hear backlash for being covered too much, or even cover too little. Swift believes if she were a man this would no longer be an issue and people could take her ideas for what they are and not base them off who they are coming from.

In the video Taylor Swift goes onto throw shots at ex boyfriends and friends in the music industry. With her catchy pop tune, you barely hear her shots at Leonardo DiCaprio. According to Taylor swift in "The Man" she proclaimed, "I'd be just like Leo in San Tropez" As he is out in tropical beaches partying, he faces no consequences. Taylor Swift's intentions aren't quite to tear him down but to show how if the roles were reversed that women would be frowned upon and not respected.

Throughout all of her years, Swift has been extremely successful. This doesn’t stop critics from giving her accomplishments a side eye. She goes onto argue, "They say id hustled put in the work" the 23 VMA award winner states, "They wouldn’t shake they heads and question how much of this I deserved" Although her past albums and her past year of touring you could think prove enough of her dedication, you would be wrong.

Taylor Swift uses the song "The Man" to express her struggle of being looked over and mistreated. It references the several men who Taylor Swift has butted heads with and reveals her stance on gender equality. Using her lyrics she conveys an important message about the double standard, and the fact her audience is so young and impressionable her words are so important to them.

For this essay I had to analyze and argue why Taylor swifts' song "The Man" matters today in 2023.