Nevermind | Teen Ink

Nevermind MAG

By Anonymous

   If someone came up to you and said, "Nirvana is bizarre," they would not be kidding. These three guys from Seattle are very strange, yet they are one of the hottest new groups around today. They came on the scene in 1989 with the release of their first album, "Bleach." The album was popular mostly with the college crowds, but mainstream listeners didn't hear much of it. Not so with their second release, "Nevermind." Released toward the end of 1991, the album has become an immense hit with the single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" going to the top of the charts.

"Nevermind" is an explosive album. The songs on the first side deal with everything from environmental issues ("In Bloom") to starting a family ("Breed"), finding yourself ("Lithium") and a rather strange ballad about a girl named "Polly."

Side two explodes with the punk rock rantings of "Territorial Pissings." This goes directly into the fast-paced "Drain You." The rest of the songs, "Lounge Act," "Stay Away," "On a Plain," and "Something in the Way" are OK, but for the most part are "filler" songs.

Of course, Nirvana is full of surprises. At the end of some copies of the CD, there is a mysterious bonus-track following ten minutes of silence called "Endless Nameless."

So discover Nirvana for yourself ... if you dare! n