Supernatural Review | Teen Ink

Supernatural Review

By AsianIceCold BRONZE, Hemet, California
AsianIceCold BRONZE, Hemet, California

Supernatural is a CW T.V show that aired on the WB (Warner Brothers) channel on September 13, 2005. It streams on Netflix right now with all of its 15 seasons. Every season has somewhere around 22 episodes that last about 45 minutes each. This makes for 320 episodes of Supernatural. Yes, it is a large number, but read on to learn about why 320 episodes will feel like 320 seconds, and why you should watch this amazing show. 

The show is a Horror/Thriller genre based on 2 brothers who hunt various inhuman beings. Season after season the protagonists, Sam Winchester and Dean Winchester, are known as Hunters. Hunters kill monsters and they save people. However, not many people even know that monsters in this world exist, so they also don’t know hunters exist. They’re just unknown heroes, essentially. Sam and Dean find different ways to defeat monster-like existences including werewolves, vampires, ghouls, zombies, etc. Throughout the course of a season, minor conflicts occur as well. These tend to be resolved in the first few episodes as Sam and Dean persevere through different situations. The first season specifically focuses on their father’s disappearance, so Sam and Dean travel the United States of America as they believe their father has left a set of clues to help them find him. One of these clues is when they are given access to their father’s, John Winchester, notebook. John Winchester is known to be one of the best hunters during their time period, so he was very well known to many other hunters. Being one of the best, his notebook had information on every single monster he knew of and fought even the information on how to kill them.  During Sam and Dean’s travels, they face off against demons like the woman in white, vengeful spirits, and even Bloody Mary.

Sam and Dean, obviously, have to formulate a plan before fighting these monsters. They don’t even know the specific place of where the monster is half of the time. They pinpoint monsters by obtaining the knowledge of unusual police cases in a city or village. To get answers about the crime committed or case, Sam and Dean go around the city disguised as almost anything they need to be like the F.B.I, firemen, priests, and even prisoners. However, the majority of the time they disguise themselves as F.B.I. As the F.B.I do, they go around neighborhoods or businesses questioning witnesses as to what they have seen like any strange sightings as of late, cold spots, and/or unusual noises around the area. If the person being questioned says that there are any of these things, there’s a 99% chance that there’s a monster involved. When there is, Sam and Dean do research according to what the witnesses usually leading to what the monster is. Utilizing their father’s notebook, they devise a plan on how to kill the monster which usually succeeds. 

Sam Winchester is the youngest Winchester brother who is known to always be understanding, courageous, empathic, intelligent, and relatable. Sam shows his compassion for others and his courage by always putting people before himself and, if needed, himself on the line if it means it will protect innocent people, his friends, or his family. His intelligence is proven throughout the show as he demonstrates that he knows how to hack computer systems, and devise plans very quickly. Not to mention he also studied at Stanford University before joining the Hunters once again. Sam always talks to a victim in a sympathetic manner expressing his understanding which usually calms the victim down which is one of the most important things when hunting. Despite all of this, his character isn’t very much of a jokester. He doesn’t crack jokes because he acts more serious during events even if the event isn’t that important. 

Dean Winchester is the eldest Winchester brother whose character is ruthless, comedic, confident, and very loyal. Dean jokes around pretty consistently even during horrible situations. Dean is more willing to kill monsters more than Sam is even when the monster has a chance at redemption. Dean is the best fighter of the 2 which is proven pretty constantly as Sam and Dean have gotten into a variety of fights with each other and Dean always comes out on top. However, Dean truly does care and love his brother very much as he’s looked out for him for their entire lives. He’s even put Sam before the entire world at one point. In the show, if you have Dean Winchester’s back, he’s got yours no matter what just as long as you don’t betray him.

Supernatural happens to be a bit graphic especially when it comes to the epic fight scenes as it includes beheading of the monsters, stabbing, and/or shooting. The fights are very well choreographed and all of them look about as real as you can get it. These scenes usually occur with stunning visuals and catchy hype music. The length of the fight scenes are never too long, but never too short, it's always just right. When the monster’s death finally comes, the viewer always feels relieved and satisfied. The show also contains slight profanity, but it isn’t used too constantly so that it doesn’t cause the viewer to not want to watch the show anymore. 

Aside from the amazing battles that are constantly fought, the show also has many emotional moments which can cause anyone with a heart to feel for the characters. The acting is always spot on when it comes to saddening events which makes it hard to watch without tearing up in the process. Music always plays a part in making the viewer sad in these types of scenes, but Supernatural does a superb job without it. Most of the time these scenes are shot without any music so all you are able to hear is the well acted dialogue and actions coming from the actor/character. 

Every season has a very unique plot with very intriguing minor conflicts in them as well. There’s also episodes that don’t really mention the major plot at all, instead doing a fun rollercoaster-like episode where it’s just some good old action monster hunting. This actually plays a part in not getting bored of watching the show. Instead of focusing on just the main plot or conflict, the show explores others which simply captures the viewer’s attention and interest very easily. I mean with 15 seasons to watch, a show would need some way to keep their viewer’s attention, and they did just that by doing this. Aside from this, the episodes are paced very well and it never actually becomes slow. This also contributes to the fun in watching it.

As you can see, you should seriously consider watching Supernatural. The show’s action sequences and the emotional scenes shouldn’t be missed by any means. It’s plot, characters, and events will stick with you long after you’re done watching the show. Supernatural is one of those shows that are truly a rollercoaster of good times.