The Secret Life of the American Teenager | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of the American Teenager

August 4, 2009
By Prosaic-Scriptor BRONZE, Davis, California
Prosaic-Scriptor BRONZE, Davis, California
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments

You know the feeling you get when you see a well-made TV show, with great acting and an intriguing plot? Be prepared to bid adieu to that wonderful emotion before you sit down to see the atrocious monstrosity of a television show that is “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.” Created by Brenda Hampton in 2008, “Secret Life” makes it a goal to find any teenage cliché and exploit it – various times.

The show centers around 15 year-old Amy Juergens, a teenager who is saddled with an unplanned pregnancy. Though Amy only does the deed once, it turns out that once is more than enough for her uterus to start cooking up a baby. The first season follows her pregnancy, and the second season – so far- chronicles her exploits as a teenage mother.

If ABC Family's purpose in airing this show was to send teenagers the message that all teenagers are immature, whiny, sex-driven animals, they struck gold. Amy Juergens is the very picture of selfish immaturity; ninety percent of the show is centered on her whiny, judgmental comments. There are no redeeming qualities whatsoever in this character, a sad fact that ruins the already comatose show.

Maybe if “Secret Life” had semi-decent acting, it would be more interesting. No, instead, we get dull, scripted actions that simply increase the growing urge to bash your head against the TV. What started as a follow up to increasingly popular films such as Juno turned into a stilted, abysmal joke of a show. If there was ever a show that jumped the shark before it even began, this would be it. However, if you have a hunger for shows that drag, and characters that whine almost as much as the overpaid actors that play them, then “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” is for you!


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 70 comments.


on Jul. 14 2011 at 7:45 pm
kirakhazelwood SILVER, Keizer, Oregon
6 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can't lose what you never had- How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days

Lol, I agree!! I love SLOTAT!! It's my favorite show ever!!

. said...
on Jul. 12 2011 at 6:06 pm

Dear ButercupBby,

Please tell me what you were smoking when you watched the show if you actually thought the acting was good...


on Jun. 12 2011 at 4:41 pm
freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina
15 articles 0 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

I appreciate this review. I wish I would've read it before trying to watch the show.

on Jun. 7 2011 at 10:15 am
xoshannyloveuoxx BRONZE, Hope, Maine
4 articles 2 photos 4 comments
I just saw the new one last night it was sooo good

on May. 24 2011 at 11:35 pm
A.PaigeTurner, San Antonio, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 125 comments

Favorite Quote:
You think that everybody hates you. You should really stop that.- A Good Friend

Oh my gosh I totally agree with you!  I hate that show but watch it if nothing better is showing in the world of cheesey re-runs we call TV.  Every character is stupid except for Ben's dad andeven he has his dumb moments.

on Apr. 26 2011 at 5:19 pm
BridgetND BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
3 articles 0 photos 17 comments
the first season is the only one kind of worth sitting through. the rest are lame and drug on. Amy is supposed to be a mother, but she shows how not to be a mom. sorry, but when you have a kid, you give up your selfish ways. i know this is a show, but this is kind of a bad example for teens to follow.  they didn't show her mature and grow up, she stayed immature and got what she wanted. no offense but you cant have your cake and eat it too. 

on Mar. 20 2011 at 11:02 am
hiddenangelz211 DIAMOND, Haverhill, Massachusetts
59 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live Laugh Love ~Unknown
I'm selfish, impatient, a little insecure but if you can't handle me at my worst then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best ~Marilyn Monroe
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. ~James Dean

I actually am a huge fan of this show but I mean it relly is getting ridiculous! Another pregnant teenager on the show! XP Its slowly becoming a dull boring predicyable show! ABC Family seriously needs to rethink their ideas for a "#1 Tv Series"! But I think you are a great writer and you covered the show perfectly!

ama1013 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 8 2011 at 8:23 pm
ama1013 BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 25 comments
i love this show! wouldn't miss an episode for the world...well not rly but yeah lol

Amber120 said...
on Nov. 18 2010 at 3:40 pm

I THIS SHOW ALL THE DRAMA IS SO COOL ONE DAY I M GOIN TO TRY RO ADDITION

 


Anonymous said...
on Nov. 4 2010 at 7:52 pm
I appreciate your review - you might be the only human being I've met that had a decent opinion on this televion show! Indeed, I believe the seriously misleading title is what might have drawn in many early viewers, but we must question ourselves, what is it that allows so many of our age group to keep watching?

Baller 101 said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 3:27 pm
I LOVE this show. I think it relates to teens all over the world. Teens that are prego or have had a baby should watch this show to know that your not alone. All female teens adn in some cases moms should watch this show!!

on Oct. 1 2010 at 10:53 pm
Jessi-ca SILVER, Arvada, Colorado
7 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
It would be easy to say that the pants changed everything that summer. But looking back now I feel like our lives changed because they had to, and that the real magic of the pants was in bearing witness to all of this and in somehow holding us to get.

i know this show is aweosme

c.a.r96 said...
on Sep. 28 2010 at 8:34 am
I love this shop..... it was deffinently great and still is this does set a great example for teens though cuz it shows us how it is to b young with kids it shows us that we should b protected when we do things like this the show was great and cant wait for it to continue........................

on Sep. 7 2010 at 5:36 pm
kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
7 articles 1 photo 51 comments
You showed your opinion very vividly. You are a strong, persuasive writer. I, personally have the same feelings toward this show, but even if i hadn't i would still be swayed by your strong writing skills. thank you for your post.  :)

on Aug. 29 2010 at 9:24 am
ok i looove this show its sets such  perfect example for young teens and i hope everyone agrees yes its mainly about sex but it shows important effects of having sex at a young age im not  saying dont ever have sex but wait until your prepared for the total effect unlike amy did in the show

on Aug. 27 2010 at 6:31 pm
Prosaic-Scriptor BRONZE, Davis, California
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments
I completely agree, actually. I like 10 Things I Hate About You.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 6:30 pm
Prosaic-Scriptor BRONZE, Davis, California
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments
You have a point there. 

on Jul. 17 2010 at 8:58 pm
PhoenixLord BRONZE, Park City, Utah
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments
Hahaha!  Great opening!

Bethani GOLD said...
on Jun. 27 2010 at 11:18 am
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
10 articles 0 photos 508 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

my problem with the show is that it's too much like 7th heaven. it's like they're re-creating it. but other than that it's an ok show. the kids try to make good desicions and sometimes the parents aren't the best examples.

on Jun. 26 2010 at 7:52 pm
ReadWriteBreathe PLATINUM, Pocatello, Idaho
24 articles 4 photos 114 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you" Tyler Durden Fight Club

First of all, it's suppose to be over dramatic and whiney, it's a teenage soap opera. Second, I completely agree on it dragging on. After she had her kid, it was so stupid. I didn't even want to watch it unless I absolutely had to.