Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

Have you ever seen a group of people who argue about the dumbest things but are still best friends for life? Well, the TV sitcom Friends (TBS: weekdays 6 pm) has it. These entertaining characters live in New York City and do nothing but sit in a coffee shop and figure out ways to solve their problems. Friends is an excellent show because of its interesting and hilarious plot, its unpredictable characters, and its genuine acting.

The plot of Friends portrays a group of six friends who go through life, week after week, trying to solve their evolving conflicts. These evolving conflicts include Ross and Rachel’s attempt to stay together and make their relationship work and Chandler and Monica’s idea of getting married and having a family of their own. Whether it is a major crisis or a small but seemingly large problem, these six individuals always figure out a way to solve the conflict and remain friends.

The characters in Friends are very diverse but their differences compliment each other. The characters are played by Jennifer Aniston (Rachel), David Schwimmer (Ross), Matt LeBlanc (Joey), Matthew Perry (Chandler), Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe), and Courtney Cox Arquette (Monica). Their personalities range from strong, stable characters to character that fly by the seat of their pants. This creates a continuous story of everyday life to which viewers can relate. Each character has his/her own way of contributing to the outcome of each episode.

The acting in Friends is very natural and original. The actors give you the impression that they are improvising rather than actually reading off of a script. The storyline is written to reflect the situations and emotions in everyday life, whether it be joy or sorrow. The actors’ personalities are well suited for the characters that they play. This is showed by the way each character continues to play his/her role the same way throughout the entire series.

Friends provides hours of laughter because of its hilarious plot, unpredictable characters, and original acting. This show is definitely worth watching because of the humorous interactions between the characters and their interesting solutions to solve problems. Although Friends is no longer a “hit” series, it will always be a favorite sitcom among viewers for years to come.