Sherlock Season Two: The Hounds of Baskerville | Teen Ink

Sherlock Season Two: The Hounds of Baskerville

July 9, 2012
By ConsultingCompanion221B BRONZE, Cedar Falls, Iowa
ConsultingCompanion221B BRONZE, Cedar Falls, Iowa
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is a pile of good things and a pile of bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things but vice versa, the bad things don't always spoil the good things or make them unimportant."


"They were the footprints of a gigantic....HOUND!"

The second episode of season two is based off of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles. It has been the most popular Holmes story and the story most made into film. In this version, Henry Knight (Russell Tovey) is haunted by the memory of his father being killed by a vicious creature on the Moor. A creature which he believes to be rather large and mean dog, with "glowing red eyes and fur as black as night." He calls upon our favourite consulting detective to try and solve the case. What Sherlock doesn't know is that he will see the hound and get scared out of his wits. Literally. It takes him awhile to adjust to this realisation. He then figures out that the dog is just a normal dog; only believed to be scary because of a drug that had been administered to him through (what he thought) would have been the sugar he put in his coffee. When in fact, it was the fog on the Moor. There are pressure pads in the ground that can sense when pressure is applied and then the victim inhales the drug and makes them minorly hallucinate. They eventually kill the dog, and solve the case.

I liked Russell Tovey in this. Although his upper class accent is hardly believeable, he still makes and effort to come across as a PTSD ridden man.

Sherlock and John are still our good old flatmates and friends. Although in this episode we see some doubt on this issure, it is resolved by a few choice compliment s from Sherlock.

Overall, this episode is thrilling, fast paced, scary, and not surprisingly very Doctor Who oriented. The murderer is wearing a gas mask, John says to Dr. Stapleton "Trust me I'm a Doctor", and although Steven Moffat denies it, in one long tracking shot you can see a box-like shape in the distance....the TARDIS perhaps?