Call of Duty WW2 Review | Teen Ink

Call of Duty WW2 Review

November 21, 2023
By 5zell BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
5zell BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Call of Duty WW2 is a game that captures the perspective of a US army infantry man through the Western front in Europe during 1944 to 1945. The story is told through the eyes of a fictional soldier you play as, Daniels, along with other fictional characters you fight with, all while partaking in battles that actually happened, along with weapons, vehicles, and places that do actually exist. 

When I first got this game and started playing it, I didn’t know much about Call of Duty or  WW2, but I did play Battlefield 1, so I did know what style of game I was getting into. I did see some advertisements for it, but I mainly saw it from youtubers that made videos of them first playing through it, which is mainly what drew me in. 

The way that the game starts off is one of a kind—a black and white cutscene first showing titles starting with “on September 1st 1939, WWII begins” “over 50 countries take part” “ 65 million are killed” and “it is the deadliest conflict in human history”. Then it transitions to the games opening cutscene which in short, starts off with showcasing Germany taking over most of Europe with Blitzkrieg, then bombings over London, then it focuses on Daniels point of view/journey throughout the Western front in Europe, while playing Roosevelt's D-Day prayer speech. I thought this was really good because it showcases the need to defeat nazi Germany being a noble cause and anyone who undertakes it is a courageous individual but at the same time not glorifying war and showing the true grit and horrors of it. 

What helped make it all even better was an awesome soundtrack score composed by Wilbert Roget II. His soundtrack brought compelling music that would mix with what event you are in for the story, weather it was the awesome A Brotherhood of Heroes score in the intro cutscene, or the deep, dark somber piano keys playing when you enter the concentration style POW camp at the end of the game, it was a tremendously written soundtrack for the game.                              

The gameplay is great because it is smooth when you're running, looking in every other direction, jumping over obstacles, or just fighting. In fact, all the fighting in the campaign is great because when you first play through it, you never know what to expect and where enemies will come from or where they will be. 

The developers also brought back health kits/packs from the very 1st Call of Duty game and Call of Duty Big Red One, and instead of automatic health regeneration, they give you a challenge to always keep an eye on your health meter and pick up extra health kits on the field. They also created a way of getting more of the needed consumables you use when in combat, like ammo, health kits, grenades, and a couple of other ones like calling in a mortar strike or spotting targets. They did this by giving each side character one of these power ups, and it works by a circle meter, and you need to get kills to fill it up after you’ve used it once. Overall I recommend getting and playing this game to anyone, even if you don’t know a lot about WWII. This is a nice game to give you that infantry perspective of what it was like. 


The author's comments:

As far as the story goes, the fighting is relentless and challenging, but as you play as Daniels, the game showcases from the beginning how much of friends Daniels, Zussman, Aiello and Styles are versus how much of friends (brothers) they have become. At the beginning game on D-Day, it showed how Daniels and Zussman had become best friends from boot/basic. Aiello was the squad's grizzled veteran as he saw combat in North Africa already at this point. Styles was the guy in the squad with the glasses but not a nerd, and always had his camera with him as he wanted to be a photographer journalist, but still serve in the infantry. Throughout the entire game and at its end, it showcased how the squads relationship with each other went from guys knowing and joking with each other to being forever brothers, as they would get that from fighting and surviving together.