The Colors of Love | Teen Ink

The Colors of Love MAG

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

romancewriter13 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
very cute :)

AnimalDreaming BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
I agree with stillness.is.the.move.

Aquafina BRONZE, Lynn Haven, Florida

And yet, to say the truth, love and reason rarely keep company now-a-days

I loved it=) good job

kread18 DIAMOND, Berkeley, California
I really like it, but i think the last part is unnessesary... I think you should just leave us with a nice image of violet.

ashkash95 SILVER, New Hyde Park, New York

"Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:8

It's so cute! I loved "red" part!

MyTeacherMadeMeDoIt PLATINUM, Grand Haven, Michigan

I dream of a world where chickens are free to cross the rode without their motives being questioned. (A friend)

all i can say is simply AWWWWWWW ^^

Dutchess BRONZE, Leland, North Carolina

The least deviation from truth is multiplied later a thousand fold.
~Alexander Hamilton

this was really good. i love how you connected the entire rainbow to your relationship with Mark. this was amazing. please write more.

hanfan24 GOLD said...
hanfan24 GOLD, Dexter, Michigan

"It is not the magnitude of your actions, but the amount of love you put into them that counts." Mother Teresa

This is so cute and creative!!!

meganleigh122 GOLD, Greeneville, Tennessee

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."

i think there is someone out there for you to love :) just keep your eyes open. and great story, i really loved it, and it captures the love not many people find anymore. keep writing :) and could you check out some of my stuff? thanks :)

Xblue_raspberryX SILVER, Greensburg, Pennsylvania

I may not be Mrs. America or popular at school, but i do a lot of nice sh** in life. I want some attention too!

aaawww this is so cute! =3

shayna101 SILVER, Carlsbad, California
that was the best thing on teen ink that I had ever read!! you have sooo much talent.  congratulations on getting it in the magazine. great job. I absolutely looooooved it!!!

XxM@k@y!@Xx said...
WOW. is all i can say that was so beautiful. =) i love it!!!

Kristy_loves_Keats PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
aww so so cute. i love this its now my fave on teen ink

xBaByGiRrL22x PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York

"The goal isn't to live forever, but create something that will."
"If you wanna go, baby let's go; if you wanna rock, I'm ready to roll.''
"No one ever said it'd be easy. They just said it'd be worth it." <3

aww this is soo beautiful. i luvv it!!

monstrosity BRONZE, Hood River, Oregon

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

This is so beautiful

JacobC GOLD said...
JacobC GOLD, Belgium, Wisconsin

"Am I indecisive? Well, yes and no." -Anonymous

amazing!!!:)

fictionlover10 SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
So good! Keep writing, because your pieces are great!

xLoVeLyCuTiEe428x PLATINUM, Nanuet, New York

"To me, Fearless is not the absense of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death."
— Taylor Swift

I love this!

Please check out my stuff

SoccerRuby said...
SoccerRuby, Highland, Utah
This is so cute!!!! And so clever!! True story?

VanillaTwilight BRONZE, DeWitt, Iowa
Awww! This is ah-door-ah-ble!!!!! I love it!