Searching For Hope | Teen Ink

Searching For Hope

By Tayy♥ PLATINUM, Winchester, Indiana
Tayy♥ PLATINUM, Winchester, Indiana

Forget your past live in the present and plan for the future

Haley walked into the gloomy school. Long sleeves hid her bruised arms, pants covered the multiple burn marks. A smile was forced upon her face, hiding the truth. Walking through the halls she wondered what was in store for her when she returned home that afternoon. Visions of the previous night replayed in her head, wincing as she recalled the unbearable pain.

The bell rang as she walked into her classroom. She sat in her seat and got her books out of the desk. “Open your journals and tell me what you did over the weekend,” her fourth grade teacher instructed. Not wanting to remember, Haley closed her journal and began to sketch on its front cover. She daydreamed until it was time for lunch. When the bell rang she was the first one out of the classroom, this made the teacher wonder if there was something going on with her.

After school Haley rushed home, petrified of the mood her mother may be in. When she got home, she made her way to the basement without making a sound. Laying on her bed she only hoped her mother didn't come down. With the dim light shining through the window she imagined herself on a beach. “How nice it'd be to be somewhere, anywhere but this dreadful basement,” she mumbled to herself.

Soon after that someone started up the stairs. The foot steps were faint at first, but gradually got louder. Sweat began to form on her forehead. Her mother kicked the door open., “You worthless piece of s***! Why didn't you tell me you were home?”

“I'm sorry,” the words stuck in Haley's throat.

“You are a poor excuse for a daughter,” yelled her mother. The alcohol on her breath lingered through the room. With one swift movement Haley took a blow to the face so violent it knocked her to the ground. Tears filled her eyes and started streaming down her face. “Why are you always crying? You are such a crybaby,” she beamed as she pulled her off the ground by her hair. “Now come with me,” she said firmly as she grabbed her daughter's wrist.

Reluctantly Haley followed her mother, knowing that if she didn't it would only cause more trouble. She followed her up the stairs and down the hall to the kitchen. Knowing what was in store she tried to break free of her mothers grip, but failed miserably. This made her heart sink. What did I do to deserve everything that happens to me, she though to herself. Haley was then thrown to the ground, hitting her head on the stove. “Get you're lazy ass of the ground,” she was told. Haley stood up and walked over to the woman that she was forced to call mom. A mom is suppose to be someone that loves you, and that you can look up to, someone you can go to for help. That thought filtered through her mind several times a day.

Haley knew why her dad had left when she was only in the womb, if she had the choice she would too. If she had the choice, she would have left a long time ago. She felt like she was trapped in a living hell. She had nobody to love her, nobody to help her escape. Feeling pure hatred for her mother she looked at her and said, “I hate you.”

Her mother snapped her head in her direction, “What did you say.” Haley could tell that her mother was enraged.

“I said I hate you. I fucking hate you!”

With that her mother swung her fist towards her, striking her in the jaw. Blood filled Haley's mouth. Spitting the blood out onto the floor, revealed that the strike knocked loose two teeth. Then she was kicked in the knee, falling to the ground; She was then drug back to the stair well and shoved down the stairs.

That night Haley sat on her bed sobbing into the thin, holey blanket that she was provided. “This isn't a home, this is a prison. I'm not loved, I never was. Why couldn't my father have taken me with him? Anything would be better than being here with the demon that calls me her daughter.” Afraid of falling asleep Haley did not lay down. The light from the moon and stars leaked into the abdominal room. As she fell asleep she began to envision the agony that her mom causes her, the dream made her realize that she had to escape the torture that she was going through. She couldn't keep living this way.

Her mother was still asleep when she woke up for school the next morning. Empty bottles of alcohol laid around the bed she laid in. She walked into the commons of the school silently, like always. A few moments after she arrived at the school she was called down to the office. She made her way to the oak door that led to the Principal's office. Shaking as she twisted the door knob she opened the door and sat in a chair against the wall.

The Guidance councilor opened his door and called Haley in. “Have a seat, make yourself comfortable.” he declared cheerfully. “Is everything alright with you? I talked with your teacher and she says you have been acting abnormal.”

“She may be misconstrued, I've never been better,” she gulped, knowing it was a lie.

“You can talk to me about anything, you know that right?”

“Yes,” Haley whispered.

“Can I ask you something?” he questioned. Haley shook her head giving him permission to proceed. “What are all of those bruises from?” He gestured to the bruises peeking out of her sleeves. With that one question Haley told him everything.

Police officers made there way into the school to talk to Haley. They observed the bruises on her arms and legs as they listened to what she had to say. Writing down each word that came out of her mouth. She stuttered, afraid that her mother would still find a way to hurt her. The officers assured her that her mother would never be able to hurt her again and that they would find her a place to go where she would be loved. She watched as two of the officers got into their cars to go to her house and arrest her mother. Haley cried, not because she was upset, but because she was getting away from the monster that has beat her for the past nine years. The monster that was her mother.

The remaining police officer assure Haley that everything will be alright as they made their way to a squad car. They headed down the main road of the small town. Haley watched out the window, as they passed her house, a place she'd never have to go back.

The drive didn't take long, and they reached their destination in no time. As they pulled up to a two-story brick building the officer advised her that this would be her new home. Haley apprehensively followed him to the door. The officer rapped on the door, and footsteps were heard approaching the door. When a women opened the door it revealed that she was about five two and had dark hair. “Hello, Kara.” the police officer said.

“Kent. It's been a while since I've seen you. Is there something that I can do for you?” she replied.

“Haley here needs a place to stay. She's just recently revealed a life of abuse.”

“I have a place for her and I will make sure she gets everything she needs,”

“I know you will, I am positive that you can supply her with all the necessities.” Then he waved goodbye to me as he walked back to his car.

Kara walked me through the elegant entryway into her home. She led me up the stairwell where a narrow hall branched off into multiple separate rooms. A little girl sat in the doorway of one of the rooms, her smile filled the room with a sense of hope. I continued to follow Kara down the hall until we reached the room at the end of the hall. “This will be your room, let me know if you need anything sweetie,” she said with a smile. I nodded as she bent down and wrapped her arms around me. I flinched at first, but accepted the warm hug. As she walked back down the stairs I walked into my room. It was small, but compared to my old room it was superior.
I sat at the foot of the bed and hope began to reach my heart. Maybe this could be the beginning of a life of happiness, she thought; For once in my life I can be loved. She curled up onto the bed and a smile appeared on her face as she drifted into a deep, peaceful sleep.