An Elven Wedding (A Lord of the Rings Fanfiction) | Teen Ink

An Elven Wedding (A Lord of the Rings Fanfiction)

By Narniagirl4ever BRONZE, Bluffton, South Carolina
Narniagirl4ever BRONZE, Bluffton, South Carolina

"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."
- Anonymous

Arwen fastened the silver belt around Morwen’s slender waist. Morwen breathed deeply; it was her wedding day! Her heart began to beat faster.  Glancing at her mirror, she gazed at her white dress admirably. It was a floor-length gown with floral tracery stitched with silk threads on the skirt. Again she inhaled, her fitted bodice rising too. Arwen placed a golden bridal diadem with golden leaves on her head.

“My mother wore this on her wedding day. I shall wear the same on mine to Aragorn,” she murmured, arranging the floor-length lace mantle. 

Morwen inquired, her smile widening “Who’s Aragorn?”

Arwen blushed and answered,” He is a Mortal Man.”

“ Is the one Elladan and Elrohir tease you about? How could… Why is your father allowing you? It’s not that I don’t like the mortal race...Is he any Mortal Man or a prince, perhaps a king?” 

“ He is the heir of Isildur” 

“ Oh but he does not have the throne yet. You will be just like Luthien and Beren. I remember my mother telling me those stories… how wonderful”

“We cannot be wedded until he reclaims the throne yet.”

Raising her eyebrows, Morwen lowered her voice “ Won’t you…?”
Arwen nodded “ I will share with him the Doom of Men. I know it seems rash…” 

Morwen squeezed her cousin’s hand  “ I understand. Honestly, if Legolas was a Mortal Man I would do the same. You make me feel so bad in the way I view Mortals. “ 

Arwen replied quickly “ You are not alone in looking down at them. Being immune to diseases and death makes us a very smug race indeed. My father Elrond is the one who won’t let me marry Aragorn until he is king.”

Morwen smiled “ Uncle Elrond...he allowed me to wed Legolas. How is that different?

“ You are both Elves, Morwen and you are his niece. He still feels like he owes something to you after what happened with your mother. Legolas is the son of a very different ruler. How could he refuse the request of the son of King Thranduil?” Arwen began to laugh at this but Morwen turned around to face her. Grabbing both of Arwen’s hands in hers, she confided “ He doesn’t know!”
“Who doesn’t know? Oh my, King Thranduil doesn’t?”

“Yes, he doesn’t. Legolas told me that is not required to have your parents permission”

“ Morwen, this is dishonest by the least. What will he say? Will he  blame my father for allowing this event?” 

“ Arwen, will you swear to tell no one of this, not even your father? Not that Legolas and I would not wed regardless but still I just want to enjoy this day. It only comes once, Arwen.” she pleaded, looking sadly into her cousin’s eyes. 

“ I promise. Only because I trust you and Legolas to work this out after the wedding. Now enough with all the heavy details...we are here to celebrate you. I am overjoyed you and Legolas are being wed. You are suited to him.” Arwen answered, her voice changing in tone.

A knock on the ornate door caused her to jump slightly, and two voices called out “Morwen, it is nearly time. We are here to escort you” 

She threw open the door and let Elladan and Elrohir in. They admired her bridal garb and embraced her. 

“Now Morwen, what do you plan to do after the wedding?” Elladan inquired, taking a seat on a settee. 

“ Legolas and I are going to pay a visit to King Thranduil for several months. Then we plan on traveling across Middle Earth” she answered, putting her sandals on. 

Elrohir frowned “ We won’t be seeing you for several years then. Who else will help me win my debates with Elladan?” 

Arwen laughed “ Elrohir, don’t exaggerate. She won’t be gone that long.” 

“We plan to come here whenever it is possible. This will be my home once my father leaves for Arda. “ Morwen said, standing up again.

“ Here is my bridal gift, Morwen. I wanted to give you it before the ceremony.” Elladan handed her a glossy engraved silver bracelet. Elrohir stepped forward and handed her a silver chain necklace that held a single ruby stone. He added “ This is something I have been working on”

Arwen reached behind her and pulled out an ornate mallorn wood jewelry chest to keep all her jewels.

“ Oh, cousins. Thank you so much. I love each and every one of you. I miss you dearly when we go” Morwen’s eyes brimmed with tears as she thanked them. 

“ Now, I believe it’s time to meet Legolas,” Arwen said, carefully adjusting the lacing on the back of her cousin’s dress and picked up a lace mantle. Fastening it around Morwen’s neck, she took a step back.

“ You look so beautiful. Much better than you did when we first met you” Arwen laughed as she said this, recalling the distant past. Morwen gently elbowed her before the sound of gentle harp music began. Elladan and Elrohir took their places beside her and led her down the hall. They gradually made their way down the corridor and paused in front of the doors to the great hall. Nervously Morwen smoothed the front of her bodice and patted her hair. Her cousin Arwen had woven simbelmyne into her twisted hair.

The two brothers pushed open the doors and the harp melody began. Followed by Arwen in her crimson red silken dress, Morwen took small steps towards a raised platform at the end of the hall.  Legolas stood next to Elrond in front of a canopied table that stood on the raised platform. Burnished steps led to the top of the platform and baskets of flowers surrounded the dais. Two elegantly decorated chairs stood behind the table where the couple would sit after the ceremony. 

Legolas wore a light blue robe with a high necked collar and tall brown boots. Seeing Morwen come towards him arrayed in her bridal apparel made him feel both happy and laden with responsibility all at once. He realized he had to care for another person besides himself, but the feeling that he had found the person with who he was to share the rest of his life was overwhelming. Peering out of the corner of his eye, he saw Morwen’s father enter with his kindred. They were greeted with curious stares by Elrond’s folk. 

It dawned on him that he would be depriving Morwen of her chance of going to the Undying Lands with her family. She had originally planned to leave with them to see her mother Haleth. However, her marriage to him gave her no choice but to remain here on Middle Earth. This thought caused uncertainty to rise in his heart. He knew Morwen to be true to him, but could some family member convince her to go with them? Instead of dwelling on these, he turned to look at the crowd. 

Elves lined the sides of the hall donned in their gayest colors. Morwen’s kindred had chosen a spot nearest to the raised platform. They looked self-conscious and ill at ease amongst the other Elves. Her father Arod stood tall and robust, his black hair in braids. He looked very much like his daughter except for a melancholy look in his grey eyes. 

Elrond motioned for one of Arod’s people to join him on the platform, an older Elf lady. She slowly mounted the steps, her grey eyes sparkling with joy. Her hair had hints of grey towards the tops of her twists. Clothed in silver, she made a stately figure with her venerable years.  As Morwen began to ascend the smooth steps, she whispered “Oh, Aunt Aredhel, you made it.”  Aredhel smiled at her niece lovingly and replied “ Morwen, I would not miss this for anything.” 

Ascending the steps, Morwen felt more conspicuous with each step. Once they reached the top, Elladan and Elrohir took her hands in one of theirs and led her to Elrond. They all bowed, Morwen’s lace mantle shifting to drape down around her feet. 

“Who gives this maiden to be wed?” Elrond inquired, gesturing towards the crowd. Arod stepped forward and walked to his daughter. The two brothers noiselessly slipped behind their father. Arod enclasped her in his arms and they embraced for a minute. The Elves closer to the platform could see a tear fall from both of their eyes. 

Taking her hand, he placed hers on top of Legolas’ outstretched one. Arod looked at Legolas with a stern look as he whispered “Take care of her. Listen to her. Value her as you would any weapon of yours.” Kissing her on her cheek, Arod descended the steps and resumed his original spot.

Legolas, taking a deep breath, asked “ Morwen, is  your heart right, as my heart is with your heart?” He watched as her eyes seemed to gaze at her kin and mediate there for a second.

“ It is, my love” she answered, her eyes focusing on his. They then sealed their commitment to each other with an exchange of rings and a caress that proclaimed to the world that they were one.  

I am an aspiring authoress who wants to create wholesome and engaging stories for teens. I love anything involved with Narnia or Lord of the Rings. One thing to take away from my writing is that I love to show my faith through it. I want you to glean spiritual messages without being bombarded with my opinions. 

This piece is based on a fanfiction story I wrote a long time ago. Maybe when I get the chance I will publish the complete story of it. Morwen is a character I created that married Legolas in my fanfiction version.

- Anonymous

@cmariej Oh I am so sorry. You didn't have to place it here. @SparrowSun I am really trying to say this nicely but can you chill? If she already did, I am pretty sure she can't do anything about. Please don't be so extra. She probably didn't know. Also don't give people reason to be annoyed by you.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

did you just put your phone number online where literally any stalker can see it? i might report you. that is never a good idea.

- Anonymous

@cmariej Do you want to put your number down then?

cmariej GOLD said...
cmariej GOLD, Buckeystown, Maryland

"Even darkness must pass, anew day will come and and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer."
J.R.R Tolkien

@Narniagirl4ever yes, if thats ok

- Anonymous

@cmariej I do have it. Is that how you would like to communicate?

cmariej GOLD said...
cmariej GOLD, Buckeystown, Maryland

J.R.R Tolkien

Sure, do you have Whatsapp?

- Anonymous

@SparrowSun I am great. I remember you from the forums? Yeah I think firststeps is still in contact with me too. I am still working on a story with her. @cmariej If you want to, we can talk on another platform. I am a big Tolkien fan too. :)

cmariej GOLD said...
cmariej GOLD, Buckeystown, Maryland

J.R.R Tolkien

I would love to read more! I have been trying to write my own fanfiction like this, this really gave me inspiration.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

oh hey! how have you been since the forums closed? first and i are still in touch, but everyone else isnt.

- Anonymous

@cmariejorgensen Thank you! I am glad that you enjoyed it. If you are interested in reading more about Morwen and Legolas, let me know. I would love to share more of the story with you.

cmariej GOLD said...
cmariej GOLD, Buckeystown, Maryland

J.R.R Tolkien

I am a huge Tolkien fan. I loved reading this!