The Last Two Bullets | Teen Ink

The Last Two Bullets

By Masanib2005 BRONZE, Muscat, Other
Masanib2005 BRONZE, Muscat, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The way I see it, if you want to see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

“George is going to be mad! Real mad. He ain’t never letting me tend rabbits.” Lennie sat at the end of the dark, murky water of the river awaiting his verdict. “I should leave, I should jus’ go away!” Lennie started walking towards the sunset in the valley. Looking behind to see if George was going to come to save him or take the walk with him. 

***

Back at the ranch, “Candy! Candy! Dammit, where are you?” George frantically shouted. 

“George? What’ch ya doin here?” 

“Look I ain’t got a lotta time to explain, but you need to help me kill that jerk Curley.”

“Kill Curley? Why?”

“Like I said I don’t got a lotta time to explain, will you help out?”

“What’s in’it for me?”

“You can come with me and Lennie and live on our ranch, you will have the life you always talk about.”

“Okay, let’s go kill that son of a b***h!”George and Candy stood behind the slightly ajar barn door, inside they could hear Curley and the other guys were making a plan.

“Okay Candy ya go and distract the guys and I will come out from behind ya and kill the sons of b*tch*s.”

Candy gets up and acts like he just walked in.

“What ya’ll doin?” Candy asks. 

“None of ya business N****r! Now get lost!”

George slowly removed Carlson’s gun and aimed it at Curley. Bang, Bang! Shots were fired. Curley now lay on the ground restless with two bullet holes in his chest. George walked in, the other men were quiet and had pale faces which were as white as lilies. 

“All you b*st*rds line up.” All the men stood in one line without saying a word. 

“Candy here kill them.” George gives the gun to Candy. 

“This is for everything you b*st*rds have told me!” BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! All the bodies that once had life in them now stay still. 

“Now what da we do George?” Candy asked. 

“Now, we go get the stash and go to find that other guy Lennie.” Candy takes George to where the stash was hidden. 

“Candy, ya look and tell if someone comes.” George quickly took his bag and chucked the loose cash inside. 

“Ya got ya stuff and savings?” George asked Candy. 

“Yes”

“Okay then let’s leave.”

***

Lennie walked for what felt like ages and finally camped at the end of the river. “I should jus’ go to bed. Maybe aunt Clara will come in my dreams and get her rabbits for me.” Before lying down Lennie looked behind again to see if George was coming, but he only saw darkness. “Good night George.”

***

“Come on Candy! Keep up!” George yelled at Candy who was lagging behind him. 

“You ***hole! Where did ya get so much energy from?”

“We need to find Lennie before he does something stupid again!” When George and Candy reached the river bank there was no trace of Lennie. 

“Ya, sure he came here?” Candy asked.

“I told him to hide here! The fool must’ve forgotten like usual!”

“Wait! Look at this!”

“Footprints! Looks like he finally remembered something! Let’s go!” George and Candy walked until dawn when finally they came across Lennie sleeping.

“Lennie! Lennie!” Lennie slowly opened his eyes and when he saw George running towards him he quickly got up and ran towards George and hugged him.

“I knew you’d come! I knew!”

“I told ya Lennie men like us always stick together!”

“I’m sorry George I didn’t mean to do it!”

“Hmm”

“George?”

“What Lennie?”

“Can I still tend the rabbits and feed them alfa alfa?”

“Yes, Lennie ya still can! You stupid b*st*rd! Hm, I don’t know what I would do without ya.” 

Before Lennie could respond shots went off in the silent valley BANG! BANG! Two bodies fell on the floor and Candy stood there holding the stash in one hand and a smoking gun in the other. The world shook once again and then everything went silent… Forever.

I had to write an alternative ending for my English class for extra credit. This alternative ending is on the book 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck. I would highly suggest reading the summary of the book or watching the movie before reading my writing piece to better understand my work.