The Game of Chess | Teen Ink

The Game of Chess

By Nechama SILVER, Longmont, Colorado
Nechama SILVER, Longmont, Colorado

"We are born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through out love and friendship can we create the illusion that for the moment we're not alone." Orson Welles

“I see check mate in six,” Spencer said.
“I see it in three,” corrected Reid.
“What, where,” Spencer asked as Reid took his turn.
“Check mate,” Reid said.
“You’ll beat him when you start thinking,” James told Spencer.
“Thinking what,” Spencer asked.

James just raised his eyebrows. James; strong and confidant. Spencer; small, low-self esteem, and a geinus IQ, Reid; tall, quiet, and insightful. James was thirty, Reid was twenty-five, and Spencer was nineteen. James had a dark complection, with black hair and eyes. Reid was hispanic, with the most beautiful brown eyes. And Spencer, had pale complection, green eyes, and messy brown hair. As far as they or anyone else was concerned the three of them were brothers despite their race and diffrences.
The three of them sat at the park with James reading a book and Reid and Spencer playing chess. They started a new game.

Later, while James was making dinner Spencer played himself and Reid was no where to be seen. Not that that was unusual. He always showed up in time for dinner. But not tonight. James had called for dinner. Only he and Spencer ate. Reid still didn’t show the next morning.

“Where do you think he went,” Spencer asked. “He’s not answering his phone.”
“I have an idea, he had been acting kind of odd lately,” James replied. “I think he went to the cabbin where is father took him before he died. He’s been through a lot.”

That night Spencer took the car and went up to Reid’s cabbin. Inside was a letter and Reid’s phone.

Spencer, It started. I’m sorry I left without telling you or James. I thought it would be best. You of all people would understand. You’ve seen what I’ve seen, you’ve been where I’ve been. James wouldn’t. He’s too confident. I left and won’t be coming back. It’s easier that way. I want a fresh start. I don’t know where I’m gonna go or what I’m gonna do. Remember we’re still brothers. Don’t forget that. Life has been hard for me but having you and James there has helped greatly. I need you to understand that. Remember, chess is like life. One move will end the game and it’s all about stragey. I’ll miss the fact that you’re constantly correcting me and James keeping me in line. Be careful Spence. The world’s a big place. It’s easy to get lost in. There’s a reason I left and you’ll figure that out soon enough. Bro, I want you to do me a favor. I want you to stop fighting with James about college and go. We both know you want to but don’t want to leave us. Jame’s will stay near by.
Spence, you’re a good kid and your gold. Keep it that way. The sun will come up and it will be a new day. Don’t’ waste it. Live it. Live as if you’ll die tomorrow. I let my life waste away but not anymore. I’m gonna go out and do something with it so when I die I’ll know I lived a good life. Learn, live, love. Like I said above, life’s like chess and the steps we take is the way we move across the board. If we go one way we might be blocked, if we go another we’ll make it through. I got blocked. Not anymore. Tell James what I told you. Don’t let him forget it. It’s live, learn, and love.
Reid

Spencer put the letter down. He couldn’t figure out why he left. The letter didn’t explain much. There was one person he could talk to though. Spencer drove to Lindsey’s family’s house. Lindsey was Reid’s girlfriend.
“Oh, Spencer,” Mrs. Daven said.
“Is Lindsey here,” Spencer asked.
“Reid didn’t tell you did he,” she gasped.
“Tell me what,” he asked.
“Lindsey died last week in a car accident,” she whispered.
“Oh,” was all Spencer said. “I better go.”
Spencer then drove and paid his respects to Lindsey. He thought about what Reid said in his letter. Lindsey had been blocked and that blocked Reid. It made sense. Kind of.

“Reid’s gone,” Spencer said closing the door behind him.
“What do you mean gone,” James asked.
Spencer tossed the letter on the table.
“I see check mate in two,” Spencer said.
“What, I see it in three.”
Spencer made the final move that gave him checkmate. James looked at him curiously then read the letter. When James finished Spencer told him about Lindsey and he nodded understandingly.
“Will he ever come back,” Spencer asked.
“I doubt it,” James replied.
Spencer set up the board again and played with James. Spencer won. He was thinking. Chess was like life. One move would kill you the other would let you pass and at the end of the game you’d know it was up to you on which moves you made and how you made them. Spencer understood. James didn’t.
Spencer knew that somehow Reid was still with them. James knew the same thing but didn’t believe it.
“You’ll start beating me when you understand,” Spencer said.

My dad was teaching me to play chess for the first time and this story came to mind.