Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place | Teen Ink

Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

By Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

Mella PLATINUM said...
Mella PLATINUM, Natchitoches, Louisiana

" All the World's A stage, and all the men and women merely players." - Shakespeare's "All the Worlds A Stage" poem.

I loved it, Like everyone else, I also enjoyed the twist :)

MadilynRose123 BRONZE, Somewhere In, Pennsylvania
Wow...I really enjoyed that! I liked the part where you really personified death. Looking forward to reading more of your work!

AlwaysAntlers SILVER, Kingsport, Tennessee

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”
― Charles de Lint, (from his book,The Blue Girl)

For anyone that didn't want to look it up, dextrocardia is when the heart is in the right side of the chest, instead of the left. Great story! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep writing!

IfLifeGivesYouLemons PLATINUM, Sacramento, California

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life

Hmm. Not bad. A little short - you could have been much more dramatic with it. But then, sometimes short is sweet. It reminded me a lot of Captain Jack Harkness.

GoogleIt7 said...
I really liked this stroy! And guys, I just posted a new story, and it's my first. Please read and rate!? :)

Courts012 BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

"Everything Happens For A Reason" "Write What You Know"

CHECK OUT MY STORY ON MY PROFILE AND RATE IT =)

Varlen-Byrd said...
Varlen-Byrd, Santa Cruz, California

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

I liked the twist at the end of your story. it was really unexpected. 

Pika_Princess, Escondido, California
Whoa! Didn't see that coming!

Cacher08 BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
The twist at the end was creative and awesome. Revenge stinks!

swag12 said...
cheer for what

swag12 said...
awsome story i loved it

swag12 said...
oh my ghosh

OMG ur stiry waz amazing!!!! kepp writing!!

PrudenceFang BRONZE, Herriman, Utah

"Life isn't worth living unless you believe in something."

I loved it! The twist ending was so awesome! Completely unexpected. :) So cool. LOVED IT!!   

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

-The only time you can get away with murder is when writing a book!

Hey just to let you know iv written a new piece called The Land Of Nod, would you mind checking it out for me? Thanks

Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
This was amazing! And i'm sorry i haven't commented on any of your work in a long time! Thanks again for commenting on my story THE BEAST. This was SOOOO good! keep writing! I really liked the ending! :)(:

Thanks, your comment really means a lot to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. All the best!

Dextrocardia is a condition in which the heart (-cardia) of a person is located on the right (dextro-) side of his torso rather than the conventional or usual left. The hyphen at the end is just a typo. Thanks for the read!

Thanks, I was trying to go for the shocking twist ending. Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for the comment! I'm happy you liked it. Cheers!