Humans | Teen Ink

Humans

March 22, 2013
By Literature_Darling GOLD, Warrenton, Virginia
Literature_Darling GOLD, Warrenton, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing of all. Most people exsist and that is all." ~Oscar Wilde
"I am a writer quite by accident, the way one my fall and rip a hole in their jeans." ~Blogger H. B. Sachs


Looking back is always hard, because when we look back there is no hiding the truth. The things that were shoved under the rug in an attempt to justify the act, or to rectify the past, are drawn into the light. We fall on scarred hands, searching for the past we thought we knew. Sifting through the ashes looking for the person we thought we were. Yet, in looking for a truth we believed existed, we are bombarded with a fact; that we are, indeed, masters of deception. We deceive and we delude ourselves into remembering a past made of false memories and white lies, in an attempt to conceal the truth that we do not want to face. That nothing was ever okay. That nothing will ever be okay.

Once we accept the fact that the glittering Oz that we present ourselves to be is only hiding the sad and lost person behind the curtain, we can move beyond. After all, we are all masks made of sugar, painted happy colors of yellow and pink. But once the rain starts to fall, the picnic is over. Our masks melt, leaving only the sticky residue and tear stained faces. We are all perfectly flawed pasts stitched together with false hopes and good intentions. We are all human; flawed to the core, perfectly unique, broken-down cars on abandoned highways.