A Creative Man Who Changed the World | Teen Ink

A Creative Man Who Changed the World

November 7, 2018
By Anonymous

The only autobiography that Steve Jobs ever dictated, Biography of Steve Jobs, went on sale around the world on October 2014. In only two and a half hours, I finished my first reading of the 775-page book with a throbbing heart. I folded a small corner of the page. Just as Job’s life was not a smooth and boring story, so too, did I believe the pages of his autobiography should marked  in a particular way, to show my love, reluctance, and respect for him as a stranger. 

I believe that Chambers lived his life, but only in the name of "technology," in order to complete the music of his wild life. He cared about "Think different," being crazy, different, and derailing, and making the world "move forward." The genius, from the moment his parents' sperm and egg were joined, was destined to be repetitive, because he would not be given a normal childhood with his biological parents. Born in 1955, Chambers was the son of a Syrian oil refinery tycoon but was abandoned shortly after his birth. Jobs described his biological father as "just a sperm donor", who was not just a Muslim cleric but was a powerful enough force to manipulate local wheat prices and own swathes of land in Syria.

Jobs' parents met at the University of Wisconsin, a liberal stronghold surrounded by conservative places for Catholic Republicans. There, his biological mother, who came from a strict Catholic family, fell in love with a Muslim teaching assistant. At only twenty-three years old, she became pregnant with his son.

Unable to be accepted by either side of his family due to religious and cultural differences, Jobs was ultimately abandoned. Thus, he was doomed to be incomplete and was destined to grow up experiencing more inner life lessons than others.  Jobs was not just an orphan; he had to overcome all the confusions resulting from the circumstances of his birth step by step until he began "Think[ing] different."

So, Jobs was a gift to humanity; the gods gave us a genius who was discarded by his upper-class sperm and egg donors and adopted by a poor, but loving, working-class family. According to Jobs, his adoptive father, who was as handsome as James Dean in his youth, loved repairing cars, and that always tried to do everything perfectly. Though his adoptive father was a pauper, "I've always been proud of my father because he didn't talk to business, or suck up to clients, to be a pick-thank," Chambers tells Walter Isaacson in his biography.  Although Jobs was impacted by his abandonment and had worked hard just to make his biological parents regret their actions for "Maybe being adopted makes me more independent and different from others," he says, "but my parents, 1000 percent, are my parents." 

Growing up, Jobs was loved by his adopted parents and was supported and encouraged in his endeavors. Jobs' adoptive father taught him how to start a business. Job tells himself not to bargain with the manufacturers of the production chain, he was more concerned about the producers being able to provide perfectly crafted products. After starting his own business, Jobs did not invest in financial commodities, did not invest in stocks, and did not buy jets; Despite the wealth from his success in Apple, Jobs lived in an austere house without much decoration and continued to do so until his death. In fact, when Oracle's Chief Executive visited his home, Jobs' son saw him as "a much richer uncle than his father." Even though Apple became a big commercial success, Jobs states, "I will never forget, I grew up in the middle-class family... I see some people make a lot of money, Apple began to buy rolls and several mansion.... this is not what I want life, I promise to myself: never let money destroy my life.” He believed that too much material desire corrodes the soul. His true role model was not Buffett or Bill Gates but his poor foster father; his life was all about product perfection, and he spent most of his energy on products moving forward. He did not care about share prices; he only about whether the works are enough to change the world.

Chambers first revealed that his cancer had metastasized in early 2008 and that he needed a daily dose of morphine to relieve the pain. But at the same time, he introduced the iPhone2, 3, 4, 4S, and the world-changing iPad.

Indeed, Jobs did not stop advancing even when he was fired from the company he had founded. Jobs was not a saint. Naturally, when this occurred, he became angry. But even with the anger, his passionate soul threw him into another unexpected journey at Pixar. The encounter with the animation company not only filled the gap prior to his return to Apple for 12 years, earning him hundreds of billions of dollars, but also helped him create the great iPad App Store. He designed a platform where the world could not see and where the talented animators of Pixar could find their dream platform and start a business there. That, in turn, made the iPhone and the iPad unique among tablets and smartphones.

At the end of the book, Jobs's life approaches the end. He stops listening to young John Lennon's music, the song he had grown up with, mother . "Mother, you gave birth to me, but I never had you. Father, you leave me, but I never leave you.”

Abandoned lonely heart, always accompanied by his growing up, wandering to India, deliberately learn the poorest life; Fled to Japan, to master to learn, understanding the pain of life soul; The abandoned children, who Shared the same fate as John Lennon, joined Freud's primal whooping heart, calling out his grief, his anger, the betrayal of his life, and his cancer.

In the biography, he repented to the illegitimate daughter who was abandoned by him when he was 23 years old. To the parents who raised him, he recounted every bit of his inconsiderate nature.

He longed for the next life, or at least for the ardent belief that life can go on and on. The closer he came to the end of his life, the more he missed the love and the spirit of perfection that his father had given him. He worked until the last day of his life, even though his strength was exhausted and he trembled unaccountably from being cold. At that moment, he only remembered the residual perfection.

Time gradually closed, finally, everything became yesterday. On the fifth of October, he stopped breathing. On October 24, his life was put onto paper, by most accounts, frank and detailed, and turned into the best-selling book on the planet. As Jobs died, the memory of him lingered, so that halfway around the world, with long lines at every bookstore, the world finally crossed the sectarian line and was eager to trace the life of a legendary figure.


The author's comments:

A book report on Biography of Steve Jobs.