Desperate Trust | Teen Ink

Desperate Trust

May 20, 2018
By Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
55 articles 2 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They don't think it is what it does, but it do." ~Oscar Gamble


Trust is necessary for humans to live a comfortable, happy life. There are many reasons why we trust those around us. Desperation is a source of trust. This is proven in Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare. Desperation for expediency in marriage causes trust in anyone who is able to marry couples. Friar Laurence was trusted by Romeo to assist with his marriage to Juliet because he was desperate to win her love. People desperate to escape difficult situations trust anyone who can create a plan. Juliet trusted Friar Lawrence’s suspicious potion because she was desperate to escape marrying Paris and run away to Romeo instead. People desperate for answers to mysteries trust any source of information presented. The prince trusted Friar Laurence to tell the truth because he was desperate for answers when he saw the crime scene in the tomb. In the topic of marriage, desperation causes trust in anyone who can carry out the ceremony.


People who are desperate for marriage accept anyone who is willing to carry out the ceremony. Desperate Romeo, given frugal time, trusted Friar Laurence to marry them despite the fact that the Friar could easily tell their parents about their plans. In scene three of act two, Romeo admits all of his secrets about loving Juliet to the Friar, saying, “But this I pray, that thou consent to marry us today.” (Act 2, Sc. 3). Romeo also said, “I pray thee chide me not,” (Act 2, Sc. 3) which is a clear indication that, due to desperation, he trusted the Friar not to scold him or tell Lord and Lady Montague of his decisions. If Romeo was not desperate for a fast marriage, he would not have trusted Friar Laurence, because there was clearly too much at stake. This was proven when the Friar said, “They stumble that run fast” (Act 2, Sc. 3). If Romeo wasn’t desperate for a hasty marriage, he would not have trusted Friar Laurence and would have waited for a better time.


When a human is put in a difficult situation, their desperation causes them to trust anyone who offers a plan. Lord Capulet arranged for Juliet to marry Paris, and Juliet was desperate to escape to see Romeo, which caused her to trust Friar Laurence because he knew how to get her out of the situation. Juliet’s first reaction to the news that she was to marry Paris was, “I’ll to the Friar to know his remedy.” (Act 3, Sc. 5). This statement showed that Juliet trusts the first person who comes to mind, Friar Laurence, because of her desperation. Juliet also claims, “I long to die if what thou speakest speak not of remedy,” (Act 4, Sc. 1) which meant she trusted the Friar with her life because the Friar was the only person she could have trusted. Juliet was desperate to escape the people she previously trusted, and in this desperation, she put all of her trust in the Friar. Juliet reasons, “What if it be a poison which the Friar subtly hath ministered to have me dead…” (Act 4, Sc. 3). This is evidence that if Juliet was not desperate for an escape, she would not have trusted the Friar and would have thought he was protecting his own integrity. Juliet understands the possible motives of the Friar, yet in her desperation trusts him over the only other option being death.


Desperation for answers creates trust in any source willing to supply information, no matter how verified the source is. When Prince Escalus entered the tomb in which Paris, Romeo, and Juliet all laid recently deceased, he instantly believed Friar Laurence, who happened to be present on the scene of the crime. When the Prince said, “We still have known thee for a holy man,” (Act 5, Sc. 3) he submissively believed the only witness he has present. When Prince added “Where’s Romeo’s man? What can he say to this?” (Act 5, Sc. 3) it shows that he did not fully trust the Friar, but had no choice but to trust him if there were no other witnesses present. The watchmen present also trusted the Friar out of desperation for an answer, and stated, “Here is a friar…” (Act 5, Sc. 3). With context, they are presenting a witness to whom they would trust to give an answer. They are ready to trust the seemingly random friar with information about an undoubtedly important situation. The Prince and his men’s trust in the Friar perfectly exemplifies trust in any source of information when desperate for knowledge.
William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet proves that desperation breeds trust by showing that desperation for a fast marriage causes trust in anyone able to carry out the ceremony, desperation to escape difficult situations causes trust in anyone with a plan, and people desperate for information trust any source willing to provide it. Desperation is a source of trust. When desperate, humans easily trust those who offer help or a way out. Any individual who offers to assist is a way out of a desperate situation, and there is no choice but to invest trust in them. Even in desperation, the people you trust aren’t any more trustworthy, but there are no choices otherwise.


The author's comments:

Please comment harshly so that I may improve.