2022 Educator of the Year: Mrs.McFarlin | Teen Ink

2022 Educator of the Year: Mrs.McFarlin MAG

February 27, 2022
By patience_weir22 GOLD, Grand Junction, Colorado
patience_weir22 GOLD, Grand Junction, Colorado
19 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you" -Unknown


Nancy McFarlin is the Honors Comp/Lit teacher at Palisade High School in a small town known for its peaches and surrounding mountains. Mrs. McFarlin has impacted so many kids in a positive way. Here is how she impacted me ...

Thinking back on my freshman year of high school, I never would have thought that one teacher would change my life so much. I met Mrs. McFarlin my eighth grade year at an IB Shadow day. Her instant bubliness and welcoming arms immediately drew me towards her. Her class was a comforting space and she challenged my writing. I have always been interested in writing and many teachers considered me talented, but no one encouraged and challenged me like she did. Freshman me walked into her class with a lot to say and to get off my chest. I was in the depths of my eating disorder, I had just lost my mom, and like everyone else I was navigating life through a worldwide pandemic. She quite often allowed me the creative freedom to express myself through my writing. While there was content that she had to teach, she gave me just enough wiggle room to grow as an individual writer. Her class was always right after lunch, and she always encouraged me to finish my lunch in her room during class. When she found out that my mom had passed away, she was nothing but supportive. Maybe it was her mother's instinct, but her kindness was extremely helpful when grieving all while navigating my first year of high school. At the end of the year she pulled me aside for a conversation and I’ll always remember how inspiring it was. She told me that I was very talented and had it in me to be an author when I was older. She encouraged me to pursue a career in writing after graduating.

More recently, this year (my sophomore year), I took her creative writing class to build upon my love of writing. In that class she gave us much more creative freedom and ability because the curriculum wasn’t as strict. Each piece of writing she gave us feedback to improve it and other comments to encourage us. I specifically remember one story I submitted, a memoir that I am creating. She came up to me after reading the night prior and she told me she couldn’t stop crying after reading it. That was a pivotal moment in my life when I realized I could impact people through my writing. I could change lives and inspire people through my writing. That’s when she encouraged me to enter my first Teen Ink writing contest. She continued her positive attitude through contracting COVID and not being able to be at school for quite a few months. Overall, her teaching has inspired me greatly and she truly deserves to be educator of the year not just this year, but every year.


The author's comments:

This is a a story about a teacher who changed my life and might have even encouraged me to persue a career in writing.