Mrs. Basciano | Teen Ink

Mrs. Basciano

By Zoe_T PLATINUM, New City, New York
Zoe_T PLATINUM, New City, New York

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss

Dear Mrs. Basciano-

I am not that great at expressing myself in person. I am getting better, but my best way to thank someone is through something written. Thank you for being my favorite teacher. You have left a positive, lasting impact on many of your students. For most people, English is a bother. For me, it never was, but for those who hated it, you were able to fix that.
You notice every little detail of everyone’s everything. You’re understanding, and extremely helpful. You are always there for your students and you make a point of it to know them all well.

One day at extra help, which was always very helpful, you commented on my hands and then my bracelets. My hands are always an odd topic because they are always very dry and cut up. You used your motherly view and told me which cream to try that you found worked for your daughter. It does work. You also asked about my bracelets. Bracelets are my way of expressing myself, and you listened with interest to my explanation, even if it maybe made no sense.

You are so open minded when it comes to the larger picture. Your eye for detail makes every student feel like you care. Thank you for caring, and always having the right thing to say in every situation.

You approach class with a positive attitude, even if your lesson didn’t go as planned, or you knew something was going to happen. You’re committed to your job, and you try your best. Your dedication makes your students strive to do well. Thank you.

You also take pride in student accomplishments. You helped me with a few of my essays that I was having trouble with. When I got the grades back, all extremely high marks, you were proud of me. All a student can ask of a teacher is for them to be proud of their accomplishments. You’re proud of your students when they succeed. That is the best.
We are also sort of similar, as in, we both have our weird quirky ways. You understand these weird ways, my colorful organization, and the absolute necessity for colored staples. You’re accepting of your students, because most students, as you know, are strange.
“Did you get a haircut?” “You have a cut on your face, what happened?” “You have been trying really hard lately” “I like your shirt.” All of this you would say, and more, within the first minute of class as you made your way around the room checking our homework. All people notice things, but you notice the little important details.

Sincerely,

Zoe T