Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By 6baber GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
6baber GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Seventh and eighth hours on B days are my favorite periods of the day. I crave the moment when I put away my school books and binders, red pens and pencils, and just relax. During seventh and eighth hours, I love going to the art room in a separate wing of the school where the chairs are wooden stools and the art supplies are unlimited. But most of all, I enjoy my teacher: Mrs. Moseler.   
Mrs. Moseler is one of the rare few teachers who doesn’t care if you memorize the entire periodic table or know every war from the 1800’s. She only cares about showing you creativity and allowing you to open your mind up to anything you want. Mrs. Moseler expands my “right brain thinking,” which is the side of the brain filled with color, music, and creativity. And these are similarly the three best words to describe her.
Mrs. Moseler is not only a talented artist and amazing teacher, but she is also the varsity girls volleyball coach. I can always seem to find a volleyball somewhere around the art room or a newly made poster advertising the varsity team. This is worth mentioning because it shows that she is very dedicated to the things she is involved in.
She is lenient in what students do for projects. Mrs. Moseler’s assignments are vague, letting students create whatever they can come up with within her basic directions. This gives me room to show my true self, creativity, and artistic ability. She is constantly helping kids define themselves and not just go along with the high school norm.
Mrs. Moseler is not my favorite teacher just because I love art and not taking many tests, but also because she is constantly singing around the classroom randomly, and helping students whenever they get stuck. She knows every one of her students by name and always helps them be the best they can be.
She is definitely not one of those teachers who thinks they know everything and are always right. On the first day of class, Mrs. Moseler said, “I know by the end of the semester, you will all be better at art than me!” And she sounded enthusiastic and happy to say that. She wants us all to reach our full potential no matter if it exceeds hers, which I think is a pretty special thing. 
I remember last year (when I was in her art class for the first time), I was having a hard time on my self portrait. She came over and spent more than 20 minutes helping me fix the parts I messed up in, without being condescending.
She said, “What do you think about this…” and “How about we add some more of this…”. She helped me by explaining what to do, but she never took control of my project and made it her own. And with Mrs. Moseler’s help, that self portait wound up being my favorite project from that year.
This year, I was very excited when I saw on my class schedule I was in her class again for Advanced Drawing and Painting. When I came to class on the first day and sat down, Mrs. Moseler rushed into the room and said, “I’m so excited for this class!” and she is constantly saying, “This is my favorite class!” I think that made the class feel extremely important and excited for what was to come.
She genuinely likes all of us and always helps us to achieve our own goals. Mrs. Moseler’s enthusiasm for art is a disease and it’s a very contagious one at that. After being in her class for two years, I am glad to have caught it. I have been so motivated from her class that I started doing more and more art outside of school than ever before.
Because of Mrs. Moseler, I have found a hobby I immensely enjoy, and am very grateful. So thank you, Mrs. Moseler, for being a helpful, creative, and overall amazing teacher. I have learned so much from you and you have come to make my school year bearable. There is no doubt in my mind that seventh and eighth hour B days will always be my favorite periods this semester.