Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By ferriscw34 BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
ferriscw34 BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

It’s hard to believe that we currently live in a society that fights so hard to support refugees and idolizes celebrities, while often times forgetting about the people who truly deserve our recognition and support: you and all fellow veterans. Whatever the reason that lead you to fight for our country, know that your sacrifice is appreciated and valued.

My name is Cosette and I’m a senior in high school. I recently watched the Honor Flight movie, and it inspired me to write and express my sincere gratitude for your service. Through your sacrifice I’m able to have dreams of going to college, becoming a nurse practitioner, and travelling the world. All of these hopes for my future would not be possible without your bravery and selflessness to make our country safe.

Your experiences are something that no one will ever be able to take away from you, and I commend you for your perseverance through not only the war in Vietnam, but the wars you have to face on a daily basis. I’m sure it’s easier for someone who’s gone through so much tragedy to only focus on surviving day to day, but I hope that this trip inspires you to truly live your life to the fullest, knowing that you have people to support you.

Although I don’t know your reasoning behind fighting for our country, I do know that when you returned back home you were not celebrated the way you deserved. You put your life on hold for years and sacrificed your life for a country that didn’t respect your duties, and for that I am incredibly sorry. So as you are coming home now, I hope you are able to finally experience the “welcome home” that you’ve always deserved.

Thank you for your service, and welcome home.

Cosette