Cyclist, Lance Armstrong | Teen Ink

Cyclist, Lance Armstrong MAG

By Anonymous

      In my mind, the definition of a hero is Lance Armstrong. He has accomplished so many things and inspired so many people. He survived a life-threatening disease, and has lived a very complete life, still giving so much to others.

He is a great teammate and a brilliant leader. He gave his winnings from races to his teammates. Armstrong knew he could win only with their help. Even though he has retired, he still helps coach the team. Many people idolize him because of what he has accomplished.

Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with cancer at 25 and didn’t just survive but went on to again win the hardest cycling race in the world, the Tour de France. He has raised money for cancer patients with his clothing line, Livestrong. He also founded the Lance Armstrong Foundation and has helped the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

He has won the Tour de France seven times, which is an enormous accomplishment for anyone, especially one who survived cancer. It is said to be the longest and most grueling race in all of cycling. Only the best are invited. He started out as a helpful teammate and then became a leader. He has also won the Tour of Georgia. While he was racing, he would also train extremely hard for the Tour de France because he did not want to lose or even be the runner up.

The Lance Armstrong Foundation has raised $14.4 million for cancer research and started a center for cancer survivors. His contributions may help find a cure. I know that’s what he is hoping for.

As you can see, Lance Armstrong has many qualities that make him a hero. He is a good leader with goals. He is an inspiration to kids and adults. He does all of this without being overconfident and cocky. I can guarantee that he will try his hardest to find a cure for cancer and help its survivors. Even though I’m not an avid cyclist, I find his life very inspiring.