The Gift of Books | Teen Ink

The Gift of Books

By hskadberg BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
hskadberg BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota

The early 1960s was a time for change and new ideas. The time was dominated by the children of the second world war (“The 1960s”). G.I. Joe dolls and Barbies were popular for young children, and the youth dominated culture tried to rebel against these gender stereotypes by wearing their hair very long or short, regardless of gender (“The 1960s.”). The Vietnam war was in its early years, starting in 1959 and continuing through the 60s (“Vietnam War.”). During this time, many college youth joined the antiwar movement and started to protest on college campuses (“The 1960s.”). Young adults were very influential in the 60s because of their ideas for change.

To Kill a Mockingbird made a splash in 1960, followed by writers making a wave across the United States (“The 1960s.”). Their work touched heavily on the current social and political problems, such as segregation and women’s rights. (“The 1960s.”). The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan was a turning point in feminist literature, and women were ready to stop pretending to enjoy playing the obedient housewife (Edelman, et al). Instead, women started to focus on gaining equal rights and opportunities. (Edelman, et al). New books like these were often of the anti establishment nature, challenging society and the military for their conservative ways (“The 1960s.”). This wave of books really showed Americans a new perspective.

In the early 1960’s, Shar Jacobson had started to grasp the importance and potential that books held for her. In fourth grade, Shar had gotten her first library card, which her dad had encouraged. Her father shared his love for books and knowledge with her, and in return she tried to read all the books she could get her hands on.

One winter in the early 1960s, Shar was headed to the public library with her father and younger brother. As usual, she had a big stack of books in hand, all read and ready to be returned. Shar loved the feeling of staring up at the cream colored library before she opened the door, especially when it was snowing outside. It reminded her of a sense of home.

As she entered the library, she watched her brother tug her father away towards a shelf of books. Shar watched their backs disappear behind a bookcase, but she continued to walk towards the counter, ready to return her books.

One by one, Shar stacked each book onto the counter, each book very different from the last, and the librarian stared at her. Just as Shar put the last book on top, the librarian let out a huff, and her red glasses slid down her nose as she tipped her head at Shar.

“You shouldn’t take books home if you aren’t going to read them. There are other children that might like to read them.”

Shar looked at her with wide eyes, surprised that the librarian would say that to her.

“I read them all,” Shar told her earnestly, and the librarian narrowed her eyes at her while she slid her glasses back up.

“You couldn’t possibly have.”

“I promise, I did!” Shar told her again, shaking her head in aspiration, her blond hair swishing back and forth.

“Don’t-”

The librarian was cut off as Shar’s dad came up behind the counter, holding her brother’s hand, his arms filled with books.

“Yes, she does read them all in a week. If the library would let her, she would check out even more each week.”

The librarian looked up at her dad, a sweet smile suddenly appearing on her face.

“Well, okay,” she told him as she picked up the first book to scan.

Shar was so thankful that her father had said something, and it was another reason he was her hero.  His love for knowledge filled their house with many different books throughout her childhood. Shar had read ones on Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology. She read lots of fantasy and non-fiction, including books on all the major and minor religions in the world. Shar grew up in small, mainly Christian towns because her father was in the air force, which meant her family moved often. These books exposed her to many new ideas and beliefs as she traveled.

Her father gifted her The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when she was fifteen. It was something Shar and her father bonded over, and Tolkien is her favorite author still today. Shar is thankful for her dad and the experiences they had together. He taught her the value of books and the importance of the information they held. The saddest day of her life was her father's funeral, but she looks back at their time together and smiles. He taught her so much that she is grateful for, especially the importance of reading.

Shar and her husband ran a store in Northfield, MN from 1974 to 2003. They touched many lives there, from Shar measuring fabric for people to talking to them at the register. She met many people through that store and shared her kindness with all of them. Whenever she visits Northfield, she is reminded of those times spent helping people and talking at the store.

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” A quote by J.R.R. Tolkien, written in The Fellowship of the Ring. To Shar, she uses the time she has now to travel around the world with her husband Rollie, and she continues to read all the books she can. When she is home though, she spends many days snuggling with her cats Pru and Piper, maybe with a Tolkien book in her hand. She spends her precious time with who she loves and doing what she loves.

Works Cited

Edelman, Rob, et al. "1960s: The Way We Lived." Bowling, Beatniks, and Bell-Bottoms: Pop Culture of 20th- and 21st-Century America, edited by Cynthia Johnson and Lawrence W. Baker, 2nd ed., vol. 4: 1960s-1970s, UXL, 2012, pp. 1011-1037. Student Resources In Context.

Jacobson, Shar. Personal interview. 31 Dec. 2018.

"The 1960s." Gale Student Resources in Context, Gale, 2018. Student Resources In Context.

Tolkien, J. R. R. Fellowship of the Ring. HarperCollins Publishers Limited, 2015.

“Vietnam War.” Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia, Jan. 2018, p. 1; EBSCOhost.

This was written about my wonderful neighbor who let me interview her. Thank you