My Favorite Lost Boy | Teen Ink

My Favorite Lost Boy

By logannycole SILVER, Perkasie, Pennsylvania
logannycole SILVER, Perkasie, Pennsylvania

I was at lunch yesterday when I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. Having no idea who it might be, considering all of my friends were at lunch with me, I slid my phone open in confusion. It was from my older sister, Tosha. "Omg Logan, I'm so sorry! :-(" it said. I was completely lost, I had no idea what she was talking about. Then a few minutes later "Corey Haim's that guy you love, right?" I knew from that moment that whatever she was sorry about was not something I wanted to hear. I responded with "Yeah, why?" only to read "He died...accidental overdose." I was in shock. I put everything down. I had to remind my lungs to keep breathing and my heart to keep pounding. How could someone so lively have such a tragic end? And at the age of 38? It couldn't be. So I left the cafeteria and went to the bathroom to check Yahoo News on my phone. It was a top story, it was true. I called my dad almost in tears, he couldn't believe it either. Since I was little, I've loved Corey's movies. And of course, I had a major crush on him. The thing is, I just got really into his movies almost two years ago. I had a crazy obsession with him and Corey Feldman, who were best friends and starred in my two favorite movies, Dream A Little Dream and The Lost Boys. As a matter of fact, I finally got Dream A Little Dream on DVD a few weeks ago and I watched it every night for a week straight, right before his death. I went home from school that day and watched it from a different point of view. I couldn't help but thinking "I can't believe he's gone" after every funny remark, or even every word that came out of his mouth. Despite anything that is said about Corey Haim, despite all of his flaws, (because who doesn't have them?) I will forever be a fan of this amazing man. He will never be forgotten.

"It basically comes down to that word: Love. I guess that's what it's all about."
-Corey Haim