The Sad truth | Teen Ink

The Sad truth

October 18, 2018
By Anonymous

On a breezy Friday, I was on my way to take the train. Everything was going well till I got on the train, the train was full especially in the mornings so living in New York is either try to fit inside of one the carts or be late to wherever you going. I'm struggling to get inside but eventually, I made to a corner by saying excuse me. I was four stops away from my stop.

Once I made to 149th street the cart was empty I can finally move away from the corner I was, I moved to the door and all sudden I started getting feeling in my stomach that I usually don’t get in the mornings, so I knew something was wrong. I'm reaching my stop and I started sweating and I had already taken off my coat, I hear the train driver say “We are being held momentarily, thanks for your patients” I start running out of breath.

At one point I shut down right when I got off the train everything went black pure black. I fainted, when I woke up all I saw was strangers pass me water, I drank some but still felt dizzy. 30 minutes pass by the ambulance gets here they called my parents they get to the hospital worried.

I remember hearing the doctor say “we have to do tests on her, this is serious .” I went Through blood tests, brain tests etc. My mother told them in Spanish “ She was born premature but never had these problems.” Doctors respond “ we are waiting for the results “.

An hour passes I'm in a bed quiet and confused, doctors walked in and tell me and my parents “ Your daughter needs to go to the neurologists Because there's a possibility she has Epilepsy.” I ask all weak What is epilepsy? He answers “ Epilepsy is a Chronic illness that causes seizures and you Nicole had a little harm seizure on that train stop” They sent me automatically to the neurologists, Where they announce I have epilepsy.

From that Friday they prescripted me pills to take a daily so it can reduce the number of seizures I can get and now I am living a regular teen life just with a chronic illness such as epilepsy.


The author's comments:

I wrote this because I kept it for now 6 months from everyone but my parents.