Broken | Teen Ink

Broken

By rhoude BRONZE, Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
rhoude BRONZE, Tyngsboro, Massachusetts

Can you imagine, running competitively for four years and being one of the top runners on the team, but not being able to run in your last year? I was just sitting there watching my whole team compete and I couldn't even be a part of the success. Fracturing an ankle can really teach you all about yourself.

Last spring it was like a normal day. I was taking my dog off of her run and I tripped in a hole that she had dug earlier.  I was in so much pain, but I still somehow managed to get myself into my house. After sitting on the coach in pain and hopping around the house we finally went to a lab to get an x ray.  They told us that it was just a sprain and I would be able to run my meet that Monday. But I couldn't even put pressure on it and I knew it was something way worse.

My mom took me to see a foot and ankle specials the following day. The doctor pulled up the x ray and right away she was able to see a stress fracture.  I was put into a boot and given crutches, I was not allowed to do any physical activity for six weeks.

I couldn’t do anything.  I couldn’t do any sports and I’m a really active person.  It was so hard to just sit back and watch people doing what I love to do. Though in a way fracturing my ankle was kinda good for me, I actually learned a lot more. Rather than thinking about what activity I have next or when will I have time to do homework, I was slowing down my crazy life to take in the experience and to focus on one thing.

I wore that boot on my eighth grade trips, in our class picture, and for graduation. I dreaded walking around with crutches and having to have someone spot me all the time, but in the long run it helped me understand how busy my life can be and how one little injury can make such a big difference in my life.

It didn’t just affect me it affected everyone around me too. My team felt bad for me and missed me running with them, I could see it on their faces when I told them what happened.  They were disappointed that it was the beginning of the season and I couldn’t run with them. It was nice to see how much of an impact I made on my friends lives. I went to all of the practices and meets even though I couldn’t participate.  I still tried to do my job as a captain and be there for the team. I didn't let one injury get in the way of what I love to do.