Quantum Friend | Teen Ink

Quantum Friend

By Zaher28 BRONZE, Davie, Florida
Zaher28 BRONZE, Davie, Florida

The Many-Worlds theory derived from the Copenhagen Interpretation states that for every decision or measurement at the quantum level the universe and what is observed splits off into different universes in which each possible outcome resumes. For example, let’s say an electron is shot at a wall with two holes in it. Even without directly observing the electron, we can safely say that the electron has a probability of going into hole A or hole B. When the electron is observed, however, it is forced to collapse into a single state and go through only one hole. This is the basis of the Copenhagen interpretation. However, The Many-Worlds Theory says that instead of the electron collapsing, the electron splits along with the universe into two. A separate universe for each possibility. As crazy and fictitious as this theory may seem, it is completely sound mathematically. This was shown around the 1950s by Hugh Everett and then truly demonstrated in the 1970s by Bryce DeWitt. Of course, we shall never truly know because, as observers, we are unable to devise experiments where other universes are somehow recorded or measured. I hope I haven’t lost you by now. I go crazy spouting about the limitless universes that this theory states exists since there have been so many quantum reactions where phenomena were forced to collapse and take on a single form to fit our reality but back to the point.

You and I first met in tennis class in seventh grade, and only spoke because of our similar background (which let me tell you, you forgot each day :) so I always had something to surprise you with the next day). This interaction, unfortunately, was as quick to fade as the luminous ether theory. A year passed by, and nothing came of it. Nevertheless, after the dull commentary of shapes and angles, a great joy accompanied me when I had the chance to speak to you again. It was short, not always with much chit chat, and sometimes disturbed by the presence of others (you know who I’m talking about) but nonetheless it was a bond similar to a covalent bond between nonmetals, not very strong but in long chains can be extremely robust. This was shortly (that year passed in a nanosecond) followed by us having the same class at the crack of dawn, where one of three things would happen. You and I would chat and call each other best friends, laugh, and have fun; I’d stare at your face lying down on the desk, wondering why you felt the way you did; or I was so tired that I fell asleep and didn’t pay attention to what was going around me.

Now, a quick redirection: photons are especially unique among particles because since a photon has no concept of time, to a photon the elapsed time since the beginning of the Big Bang is the same as the present time elapsed; it has no experience with time, and never will. Unfortunately, and this goes for everything and everyone, one cannot be wise about a topic or subject that that same person has not experienced his or herself. As if I were a photon with a somehow decreased velocity, I didn’t know what I was doing; my actions and my words, instead of being caring and supportive, were probably devastating, disappointing, and based on stupid assumptions because just as the photon, I hadn’t experienced time like you had. I can’t say how much I look at the past and shake my head at how stupidly I would act around you, or how unnecessarily crude my words were; I was like a quantum fluctuation, a particle appearing out of nothing, until the universe realizes that this particle has no place in it and is in less than a second gone from the universe. This is how I always felt after I realized what I had done: something that shouldn’t be, but that feeling of nothingness and hopelessness was masked well with the happiness I got from the people around me, from you mainly.

Work in Progress. Sadly, bubbles pop; bouts of happiness end; and matter and antimatter annihilate. Friendships are kind of like the Big Bang: huge explosion of everything in all directions, millions of new things to observe and talk about, bursts of energy at insanely high temperatures because of that new found spark. Soon enough though, the temperature decreases. Particles stop annihilation, interactions between molecules cease, and now you have this expanding universe. The problem with your newly found universe is that you have no idea if it will keep expanding forever, or if at some point it will contract and stop existing.

Finally, after a certain bit of time skipping we are here, and you’re now probably really lost. I kind of quickly summarized our time together only to show you that many years have passed. And now going back to the Many-Worlds Theory, if applied to the larger world and not the microscopic, states that for every decision with more than one plausible end result there is now a universe in which that decision was taken. And so with every decision regarding us there must be millions of universes out there, where you and I never met, where you and I became enemies and tried to kill one another, where you and I never fought but never talked, where you and I talked but never fought, and so on and so on. The point of this is that there were multiple possibilities now with multiple universes for each, but for the many flaws and problems this universe has … there is no other universe I’d rather choose than this one. This is not an apology, because like the gravitational attraction forces between particles, an apology is weak, not ever enough. This is more a statement, saying that while I don’t know what this quantum decision holds (or if it is a quantum decision honestly) I wouldn’t change anything, nor for any universe that is “better”. No matter if our friendship continues or not, I wish you the best.

There is one decision you need to make though, and since you’re incredible you get to say screw it to all quantum physics, make your own universe where you make the (probably not quantum but very important) decision of being happy, being you, and not allowing anything to change that or take that away from you. You are like quantum physics in a way, beautifully intricate, special, and not necessarily normal like other branches of physics but that does not matter. I’d be extremely satisfied if we could ensure that this universe is the one where you’re content, because all the others are irrelevant to us; this is the one that matters, and lastly, know that this won’t ever change. You’ll always be, in my eyes, my quantum friend.