What Is It Like Being the Son of a Diplomat? | Teen Ink

What Is It Like Being the Son of a Diplomat?

By tissantiago SILVER, Tirana, Other
tissantiago SILVER, Tirana, Other

Life is too short to not enjoy it

Many people around the world say that traveling and living in different countries has to be a great experience.

Actually, it is an amazing life, visiting many countries and meeting people around the world. But when you start to grow everything starts to change. You have to think about the college where you want to go and if you aren’t the youngest son you have to go sooner or later far away from your family. Also, the fact that you are growing means that you have another perspective on feelings. Like falling in love and the idea that you can’t make anything to stay with that special person makes it worse.

When you are little this kind of life is wonderful. Every 4 years changing your place of living and flying in airplanes is just fascinating. The people you meet are incredible. Also, the fact that you can learn many languages and cultures is incredible. But things start to change year after year. When you are little-finding friends is something easier but when you grow, you become more selective about your friends.

I have lived in 5 different countries: Guatemala, Nicaragua, Colombia, Belgium and now in Albania.

One of the biggest problems that this kind of life gives you and the one you will appreciate the most is languages. You need to speak different languages because you never know where they will send you to live. The first 3 countries where I lived were Spanish speaking countries, so I never needed to speak another language. The schools offered language classes, and in my first 5 years of being in this kind of life, I studied German, and the other years, English. Because of my way of thinking, I didn't like German or English. I have always preferred French or Portuguese but the problem is that you actually need English if you have this kind of life.

My year in Belgium was horrible. School gives you some classes in Spanish and the rest of them in English. So basically I didn’t understand 85% of classes. The other thing was that you actually needed three languages more than your native to graduate. It was in this part of my life when I learned to speak some French- “Je parle un peu français”. Then, one day my parents were talking about moving to another country. The two options were Republica Dominicana or Albania. My parents know Republica Dominicana and they say it is a good place to go on holidays but not to live there also they wanted to go because the main language is Spanish. On the other hand, Albania was in another region of the world, the Balkan. I had just read stories and some of the history. Another point was that it was close to Austria and since my grandpa from my mom’s side has died we decided to enjoy the years I have with my dad’s parents. So next destiny Albania!

The different cultures you learn in this life are beautiful because you can change and learn how to adapt to the culture of the country you live in. Also, it gives you a possibility to become open-minded and accept the differences between people. But you stop at the point when you decide that you are from the world and not just a country and you feel that you are cosmopolitan.  Day by day you adapt more to the culture of every country. At this moment I just feel lost, I don’t know who I am anymore.

The most difficult part and the one that really hurts is when you leave people behind. People that you may never see again. I left friends, brothers, and family. The difficult part of this is love. The time you feel it is glorious but always painful this time since you move from a country to another you always think that you're leaving. When I felt it for the first time it was beautiful. The way a little child falls in love. I didn’t put much attention on it then the time passed and you started to grow little by little and also love did. Falling in love at this point in life is a big problem. The way you feel is like a Roller Coaster of emotions.

In this point in my life, I have to start thinking about the university; pilot, zoologist, veterinary, physiotherapy. I don’t have any idea! This means that I have to leave my family. It really hurts because we always have been so close to each other. This has caused some dilemmas in our family. I was planning to move to a place closest to them that way I want to return to Colombia but since there are better schools in Austria and Belgium I will probably stay in Europe some more years. But the thing that makes me sadder is my little sister Camilla she runs to me and says that she doesn’t want me to leave the house. Also, my mom says that without me, life would be more relaxing for her.

Life as a diplomatic has been amazing but it is almost to the end. I would like to be a diplomat when I turn 25 years old or it can be before if I have a fully independent life without my parents. I’ll thank this kind of life because it has been a great adventure and a fountain of experience for me. I will hope that one day one of my sons become a diplomat. It will be a great kind of relationship that I’ll have with my grandsons helping them through the way and see this kind of life from another point of view. Knowing what it is. I'll never say that it is a bad kind of life because it is amazingly wonderful and full of adventures.

I enjoyed it and thanks to it forever.