My Name Essay | Teen Ink

My Name Essay

By mrose62 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
mrose62 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

Madeline. Not a very unique name, yet not necessarily over used. We are given names not only as a way to speak with each other, but to represent who we are. I feel such passion and lightness when I hear the word Madeline. something delicate and refreshing—similar to the feeling on a fresh fall morning. 

As the cool, refreshing wind brushes against your cheeks, the tree branches sway and shake, creating a soft, calming noise in the distance. I feel like that serenity. Similar to the serenity inside me. Overwhelmed at times, I channel my nickname—Maddie. She represents the outgoing side of me. Like rough waves that crash against the rock walls along the shore, I too express that energy. I exert a powerful personality as Maddie, and a shy reserved self as Madeline. 

The simple 8 letter word, with a complicated individual attached to it. Many enjoy the name, as do I. It reminds them of people they hold dear, and that brings me joy. Simplistic thoughts, my mind represents my nickname, Maddie. Maddie, Maddie, Maddie. Simplistic and even. I could chop it in half as if it were a steak. Using the sharpened blade to evenly slice through the rough meat down the center. I feel a balance in my name, and within me. I am balanced. 

In Hebrew, my name means the child of light. I try my best to spread positivity and create a safe, warm environment for those who surround me. To me, fall brings that sense of light I look for.  That sense of lightness you feel after hearing a new song that you instantly fall in love with. The excitement that fills within you as a butterfly effect releases from deep within your stomach. The expression that is released as your jaw opens, the corners of your mouth stretching, while your cheeks fill with a warm, red color, almost as if it were painted on. That is the lightness I feel. 

I believe my name suits me, simply because of the meaning and structure. I like the way it looks, almost sophisticated. With a strong structure, I stand. With positivity I spread, hoping that sense of happiness reaches others, and spreads like a winter cold. This name flows within me, similar to the way steam flows from a fresh cup of tea, the leaves soaking within the heated liquid, exerting a honey, brown cloud as it escapes.

Balanced and serene, I feel comfortable with the name I have been given. I hear this name and think of the experiences I’ve had. Growing as an individual, I become more balanced. Uneven at times, I find a way to spread a ray of sunshine to those around me. Strengthening this balance between sophistication and being unreserved— I give meaning to this name, Madeline.