Reflective essay | Teen Ink

Reflective essay

By Logan_cf2025 SILVER, Stanton, Minnesota
Logan_cf2025 SILVER, Stanton, Minnesota

The first time I remember my dad encouraging me was when I was five years old and playing tball. I used to play tball when I was younger and I started to struggle with it once the coaches started throwing it. I was struggling so much I wanted to quit.  My dad encouraged me to just be patient and practice and eventually I would get it. He helped me with hitting, throwing, and catching at home so I would be better at it when I went to play. The way he helped me get good at hitting was he would just lightly throw it at me and I would swing. We would practice for hours. I eventually did get pretty good at it. Overall what I'm saying is my dad has influenced my life very significantly. He has done this by encouraging me, teaching me patience, and teaching me life skills that I might need at some point.

My dad encouraged me through a few different ways. One of them was through sports. I enjoy sports a lot but when I was younger I struggled with them. I would want to give up when they got hard but my dad made sure to encourage me. Like when I turned Nine and got my bow I struggled the first few months with sighting it in. I struggled with hunting because I'm a shaky person and couldn't get very accurate with anything. He encouraged me and helped me get good at it by taking me out to practice and helping me with my shooting form.Then there was also fishing. Fishing takes a lot of time and patience and when I was young I didn't have much of that. My dad always made sure I never quit when I started to struggle so I got good at a lot of things. With all those things I talked about they all require a lot of patience if I wanted to succeed at them so my dad made sure he taught me how to be patient.

My dad taught me the importance and patience and how to be patient at a younger age. Being patient helped me with so many things. Like being patient helped me get good at anything I wanted. It helped me understand things better because I would take the time to really memorize it and know it. It also helped me get a job and a raise. When my employer saw how patient I was and how I was taking the time to really learn the job and do it right they gave me a raise 3 months into my job. I also picked up a lot of shifts so that probably helped too. So my dad made sure I was patient and it helped me become a pretty good hunter and soccer player. Because of him teaching me how to be a patient person he can teach me life skills easier and I can get really good at them. 

My dad made sure I knew how to do basic life skills from a young age. Some are things I'll use everyday, others are things I might need in case of an accident. My dad taught me basic things like how to cook any meat and tell when it's actually done. He also taught me how to hunt, which is one of my favorite activities to do and I might need it if I ever get stranded somewhere. He also taught me the basics of driving using our ranger. I know how to turn properly and control speed well because of it which will be very helpful when I get my permit. He also has taught me how to change a tire, oil, and just basic car maintenance. These are just some of the life skills he has taught me and he probably has plenty more to teach me.