soup kitchen | Teen Ink

soup kitchen

One Sunday a month my family and I would go with our church to a soup kitchen downtown. We would feed lunch to homeless people and their kids. They all come in the building at the same time and get into a line and we give them a ticket and they go into this line and we are in the back doing a little “assembly line”. We would pour them drinks and walk around and some of the workers would sit down and have conversations with them. Sometimes I get it but we're doing this really nice thing for you. They don't have to talk to us but they could at least say thank you.  

Most of them were super appreciative and loved what we were doing. They would thank us or shake our hand and I'm so thankful and lucky that I got to do that for the community and put a smile on their faces. It was always a success and when we were done serving everyone and everyone got a plate, everyone working there would go around and sit with different people or we would sit in a group with people we knew and we would just talk and have lunch and it was super nice not worrying about anything and just talking with friends and family. It was a great experience to learn and just be able to help people who don't normally get the help they need and just making their day makes me happy.

just helping as much as I can