What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands For

By Pinkflamingo GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Pinkflamingo GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The flag is a tribute. There are abounding ways we honor and conserve the greatest symbol of The United States of America.

Standing at the end of the drive I see the lit-up flag on the post. The flag belongs to my neighbor who fought in the Korean War. He changes the top of the flag pole from an eagle to a ball every so often and takes outstanding care of all 13 stripes and 50 stars. The flag stands for honor.

The flag is a magnificent piece of art with a beautiful design made by Betsy Ross in 1777 to show our strength as a nation one year after we gained independence. The flag was redesigned in 1958 by Bob Heft. He designed it to include all 48 states and then later added 2 to complete the United States symbolized as stars. The flag stands for America’s change.

Before each sporting event, the flag is honored through a musical melody. Everyone rises (that is able) and removes their hats. Before my volleyball matches, we all stand on the sideline and face the flag while someone sings the Star Spangled Banner. We link pinkies and pass down heartbeats during the anthem before we go out and compete. The flag stands for fight.

The flag has a precise way to be folded and can be placed neatly in a triangle case. It is a timeless decoration that is seen in the homes of those that have served. It is an honor to receive such a gift. My Great Grandpa received a flag for fighting in World War II. He has now since passed, but his memory lives on in the flag that he passed down to my Grandpa who will pass it down to my Dad. The flag stands for family.

As you can see the flag stands for plentiful things such as honor, change, fight, and family. Even if there are 331,900,000 different Americans we can all come together under one flag.