How to Ice Skate | Teen Ink

How to Ice Skate

February 12, 2024
By Anonymous

“Even if you start out struggling, keep working at it. It’s worth it,” Lizzie Henkel, a practiced skater, says on learning to ice skate. Henkel has been skating regularly with her family since she was seven years old. In her experience, it’s a skill that requires a lot of practice, but with dedication, it takes only three months for considerable improvement. 


Henkel broke her process down into a few steps: first, ascertain which skates will fit and suit your purposes. Those interested in hockey should wear the proper flat-bladed skates, whereas figure skaters should wear blades with a sharp pick on the front. Stand on the ice and get accustomed to the feel of it until you’re confident in your balance. Next, experiment moving around, but don’t forget to keep your legs bent. Thirdly, try pushing off of the ice with your dominant foot, allowing yourself to glide across the ice slowly. Look at that! You’re already ice skating!


Early on, treat it like walking. Lift up one foot and push off the ice, switching legs to maintain a constant pace. Eventually, lift your leg less and instead bring your foot back and push off the ice harder. Keep your legs bent, Henkel reinforces. You should keep your arms in front of you while learning to balance, to prevent falling backward. 


When asked about stopping, Henkel suggests beginners use the “Pizza” method. Just angle your feet inward, like a slice of pizza, until you come to a stop. More experienced skaters will use a “hockey stop” in which the skater turns to the side, digging the blades into the ice, where they come to a faster stop. “My preferred way of stopping is the hockey stop, because it’s instant,” Henkel shares, but also indicates that this method could spray up a lot of ice at anyone unfortunate enough to be standing next to you if you do it hard enough. If neither of these methods seems doable, a classic run-in with the wall is always an effective way of stopping quickly when necessary. 


Henkel insists how fun and rewarding it can be to ice skate. She recalls fondly the times she was able to skate with her family both outside at a park and at an indoor ice rink. This skill provides a soothing rhythm, improved balance and grace, and opportunities for exciting group activities. 


The author's comments:

I interviewed a classmate of mine on a topic of which she was passionate. She told me all about ice skating and her history with it. She had many tips that I could include in my piece, which made writing this much easier.