6'1' Freshmen | Teen Ink

6'1' Freshmen

By Dreamincolor16 SILVER, Sunbury, Ohio
Dreamincolor16 SILVER, Sunbury, Ohio

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

~Walt Disney

I am 6’1” almost 6’2” just a freshmen and I’m still growing. I passed my sister in 1st grade and my mom in 7th. I’m about two inches away from passing my dad. It wouldn’t be that bad if I was a guy, but I’m not. I’m a girl who’s taller than all but two guys in my class. I guess you could say I have certain requirements if I was looking for a boyfriend, but that’s an entirely different subject.

Since I was tall everyone assumed I played sports. “So, do you play basketball?” they would ask.
“I used to in elementary school, but now I play volleyball.” Many people ask me why I don’t play basketball. The truth is I have a very intimidating look, duh; I’m 6’1”. Even if that’s the case, I hate contact sports. I’d rather stick to my side with my teammates hitting only a ball, and an occasional teammate in the process.

I began volleyball in 5th grade. Ever since then I’ve been hooked. I used to be a setter, but my height began to push me more into a middle position. A middle has to own the net. I’ve learned that through the years to earn titles such as The Beast and The Iron Giant from my teammates. It just comes with the territory, and I am proud to have those labels.

Another useful thing about being a middle is the lessons you learn. My first year playing high school ball I made Varsity. There were only two middles; I was one of them. Then some “stuff” happened causing her to leave along with our libero, the best back row player on the team. Something like that makes a need for a leader important. Girls look up to the middle, and I was the only one. Who stepped up and took that role? You guessed right, me the 6’1” freshmen.

What I’m trying to share with you through this particular personal experience is simple. Something that can put up many roadblocks in your life, such as height or weight or background, can be used in a way positive for others. Hey, you might even learn something out of it.

Facelton SILVER, Canton, Missouri

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Unknown.

wow. i relate. i am 5'10 and a freshman.