I hear your voice and suddenly, I'm falling | Teen Ink

I hear your voice and suddenly, I'm falling

By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts

"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

On the 2008 American Idols Live tour, David Archuleta’s final song of his four-song set was “When You Say You Love Me”. Covering the famous Josh Groban song, saying it was “one of those message songs that he likes” and how it’s about letting someone know how much you care about them and how much they mean to you, as he’d sing his heart out, dedicating it to his fans.

For most David Archuleta fans, when you think “When You Say You Love Me”, you associate it with the Idol tour. Remembering those amazing memories you enjoyed right along with David on his first tour, watching concert videos, seeing meet & greet pictures and reading concert recaps. But if you had the amazing opportunity to actually experience it all, the song could bring back even more meaningful memories for you. Or at least it does for me.

Despite the long struggle to get there, which is a story saved for another day, I had tickets for the Idol concert in Worcester, MA, in hopes of also getting to meet David outside. Long and incredible story short, I met him for the first time that day. Later on that night I was high on Idol and concert adrenaline as it was my first ever, and had the time of my life, balcony seats and all. When it came time for David to perform his final song that night, I remember everything about that moment.

Sitting high in my balcony seats, the warm summer air making it’s way into the DCU Center as David prepared for his final song. As sad as I was to know it was his last, I was also excited to hear this next song. He introduced it as “When You Say You Love Me”, and seconds later that beautiful melody began, followed by David’s stunning voice. As his voice soared throughout the arena, I couldn’t help but think back on this incredible day. The fight to get to this day all paid off when I met David, and now sitting at the concert, graced by David’s angelic stage presence and the voice to match.

Whenever I hear “When You Say You Love Me”, even just the intro, to this day, it brings me right back to that night in Worcester. It was truly one of the best days of my life, and I’m sure for anyone who experienced David on the Idol tour, it was for them as well. David has done a lot of concerts since then, but I’m sure for anyone who had the chance to go, one of their favorites was the Idols concert.

Every time I hear "When You Say You Love" it reminds me of the idol tour and literally brings me right back to that moment in Worcester. So I thought I'd share, since I know a lot of other fans probably feel the same way.