Be your own person | Teen Ink

Be your own person

March 28, 2011
By Youdontknowme. GOLD, New Delhi, Other
Youdontknowme. GOLD, New Delhi, Other
11 articles 6 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love is not love which alters when its alteration finds,Or bends with the remover to remove: it is an ever-fixed mark.


Hey you guys out there, if anyone's listening anyway that is.
I wanna talk about something known as self fulfilling prophecy. It basically means complying to the thoughts, attitudes, beliefs that other people hold or have about you.
Like all your life you've been told " You're a shoe, you're a shoe, you're a shoe" and somewhere along the road you start believing you're a shoe. But what if you're a purse or a hat?
You know we teenagers, the so called ' young adults ', we believe in too much but only in the worst things like when some relationships don't work out aroud us, we start thinking relationships are impossible, true love is impossible; when people walk out of your life like you've meant nothing and all that you've been through together, all that you've felt meant nothing. We start thinking that somehow it's always going to be like this.
But you know what be prepared to be surprised, that's the only thing that makes perfect and total sense.
Just because someone you knew couldn't make it, doesn't mean you can't. Just because you're room mate couldn't find love, It just doesn't mean you will never. Because someday when you're walking down the street coming back from where ever is it that you go, it's going to hit you, just like it hit me. I know that now, trust me.
You know this quote " when you're young you feel like everything's the end of the world, It's not".I don't agree one bit. I've been through my share of 'life'. And everytime something happened it was as a matter of fact, the end of a little part of me. Maybe insignificant when seen at once, but all those little little things that add to be SO much, they almost always end up killing who you were suppose to be, who you really are.
When you mess up, everyone will act like they know you, like they know you're worth nothing. People tell you who to be and what's desirable in the society. They tell you, you're not pretty enough or thin enough or smart enough. There's a part of you that somehow believes them. And that's where it all starts, you carry it around like some kind of a baggage everywhere you go, in the person you be and everything you do. You start complying with what others think of you. Don't do it.
People are always going to rub it in " You messed up" " I would never do that" " You're parents must regret having you" " blah blah blah"
As we grow older and 'wiser' we let go of some things from the past but still hold some, buried deep inside our hearts trying to hide the unsure-of-myself feeling, that little voice in our heads that says I'm not good enough.
Don't. Just let go. And if you can't then just bury it deeper and deeper till it almost can't be heard and wait. Wait for that one person or thing or song or just anything that'll change it all. It happened to me and I'm by far the unluckiest, clumsiest, loser-ish person i know. So for once god damnit open your life to the hope of something better. Because I believe with all my heart that you deserve every single bit of it. All of you people out there, you're worth more than you give yourself credit for. And anyone who doesn't believe that is less than the kind of person you should have in your life.
Choose wisely or well, DONT ;)