We Cannot Be Friends | Teen Ink

We Cannot Be Friends

By SwallowedByInsanity PLATINUM, Hillsdale, New Jersey
SwallowedByInsanity PLATINUM, Hillsdale, New Jersey

"Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote."

The lump in my throat has grown to a size that is potentially lethal. Was it silly of me to think that your stuttering of ‘I, I, I’ over the phone had been you trying to tell me you loved me? Silly me.
“I think it’d be best if we were just friends.”
Pardon me, but I wasn’t aware we’d ever been close friends to begin with? In my eyes you were the cute boy I sat next to during three scary movies. You were the funny boy that always smiled at me and said hello during gym class. You were the boy that sat with me on my couch and admitted to having never kissed a girl before.
But in your eyes… I was the hot girl that sat next to you during three scary movies. I was that girl you wanted to get with but was too nervous to talk to. I was the pretty girl who sat in your lap and told you she had a crush on you. I was your first kiss, and you slipped me into your heart as something for the moment, shoved in a section labeled "Temporary".
In what part of the scenario where we were slight acquaintances for about a month did you think we were friends? No, silly boy, we cannot be friends. I cannot look at you with anything other than all of our past moments running through my mind. Why not? Simply because all my memories of you contain at least one kiss shared between our lips.
I cannot look at you without one thought on my mind, the knowledge that I’m hurting, and you’re not. I’ve cried everyday since the break up and I doubt you’ve shed a single tear. I slump through the school hallways, eyes filled to the brim and threatening to spill over, yet you continue to smile from ear to ear as you always have.
"It's not you, it's me." Then please explain why you seem happy as could be?
We cannot be friends. We cannot be more than friends. We are and will always be nothing.
I suppose that’s what happens when a silly girl falls carelessly for a silly boy without making sure he’d catch her when she fell.

Something from my diary after I was broken up with over the phone.

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

I love the emotion and strength you put into it. Great job! *****

AnimaCordis GOLD, London, Other

"Evil is when the good do nothing"

This was really sad, but at the same time not sappy, congrats on that one it's a fine line! I epsitally like your ending line, it sounds a little like a song.

BluBliss GOLD said...
BluBliss GOLD, New York, New York

Bella's love for Edward was like, "Omg. He's hot. He's mine because he sparkles. Now I'll brood the wholle book while I'm with him."

This is sad. :( I really like your voice throughout the piece. Alot of people, when writing stuff like this, get caught in their emotions adn write cra.ppy stuff. This was great. :) Especially how you summed up what happened through your emotions.