Thank You | Teen Ink

Thank You

January 23, 2012
By maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia
maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia
10 articles 53 photos 261 comments

Favorite Quote:
I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn


Thank you. Two simple words, and yet they are so powerful. These two small, short words are a shining light for the under appreciated, a helping hand for the hopeless and a way to show people that you care. For example, at my school, almost nobody brings their lunch. Everyday from Monday to Friday at 1:00, we all line up and get that particular day's hot meal. When I am waiting in line, I am rowdy and loud and playful with my friends, as is everyone. But when I get to the counter, I make sure to make eye contact with the women and men that fill up our stomachs at lunch time, order my food and say thank you. "May I have the chicken tenders, please? Thank you." For me, it is simple, common courtesy, a reflex, a norm. For me it is like slipping into a pair of comfortable, well worn and loved shoes. But for some people, they are obviously stuck in the shoe store. Those people say shortly, "Chicken tenders," without even looking at the people serving them in the eye. If you think about all the work that these people do, like cleaning up the tables, making the food, keeping track of allergies and keeping the supply of food flowing, it really makes you think. What if you had their job? What if you had children coming up to you and demanding the fruits of your labor, and then after you serve it, they walk away without even acknowledging your presence? How would that make you feel? If we all stopped to think about the people that help you, give to you and support you and say thank you, I think that the world would be a better place.


The author's comments:
It has always bothered me when people ignore acts of kindness without saying thank you.